Featured Vaseline Glass Vases? Repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Feb 26, 2016.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Got 'em both cheap so I won't cry much if they are reproductions. Whatcha think of these nifty looking footed vases? Not sure what to call them. They are about 5 1/2 inches tall. Thanks :)

vaseline1.jpg vaseline2.jpg vaseline3.jpg

aaroncab, Brenda Anna, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  2. vitry-le-francois

Wow....just found the answer to my own question! Northwood Beaded Panel.

3. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Are the stem centers open, or filled with glass?

4. vitry-le-francois

5. UncleChuckTX

OK - I couldn't tell from the pics. Heacock / Elmore (Opalescent Glass A-Z) list Canary Opalescent as an original color, with no known repros of opalescent colors as of printing (in 2000).

FYI - They list this pattern name as Opal Open, with an AKA of Beaded Panel, made by both Northwood and Dugan from 1899-1906. I don't see any info about how to tell the difference. And I think most people call it Beaded Panel, from what I've seen.

Says the pattern has been reproduced, mainly for LG Wright, but only in non-opalescent colors. If I remember correctly, the repros usually have a solid glass center instead of the "open" circles / arches.

6. vitry-le-francois

Uncle,

THANKS for the information. Is this opalescent glass or vaseline?

7. UncleChuckTX

You're welcome - I was glad to have an excuse to look in my book. ;)

The color name is Canary Opalescent. Assuming it glows under blacklight / UV light, it could also be called Vaseline Opalescent (the collector name / keyword).

When the antique glassmakers made this color using uranium salts, many of them called it Canary (or Canary Opalescent when it has the white/opalescent areas). Vaseline glass is a name made up by collectors of Canary yellow glass, once blacklights were available and they discovered the glass glowed. There are a few makers whose Canary color didn't glow, so those aren't technically considered vaseline glass.

Hope that makes sense.

8. vitry-le-francois

Indeed, it does! Thank you! For the next 13 minutes and 22 seconds, you will be my new hero :)

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

UncleChuck is correct that the reproduction stems centers are closed. The originals were open.

Not quite correct. The original name was Canary. However, petroleum jelly aka Vaseline was originally a yellow color almost the same as the canary color. Hence the name Vaseline. Both canary glass and vaseline petroleum jelly were made in the mid to late 1800s. Long before the use of black lights.

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Vaseline isn't yellow anymore...??!!

11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

FRR9BLXIGTY6DGY.MEDIUM.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wow, these vases remind me of one I had and makes me wonder where it is? I don't remember it breaking but also don't remember seeing it for a long time. I think mine looked like hobnail so a different pattern, but the coloring and opalescence were the same. My vase was also footed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Those vases are AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Older jar of Vaseline, much darker than today's Vaseline
    upload_2016-2-27_9-27-10.png upload_2016-2-27_9-27-51.png

Brenda Anna likes this.
  15. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Whatever your vases are....I LIKE THEM :D

16. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Fenton Glass repro'ed them for LG Wright, but the stems were open. The junk from China are filled with glass. Vaseline glass was originally called Urine glass---No kidding.

17. silverthwait

...sometimes I am embarrassed by the paths my brain takes...

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

19. silverthwait

20. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Vaseline glass was originally called Urine glass-

Please, when was this originally called Urine glass (give a decade at least) And a source for this "information." I can Document canary in 1882.

cxgirl and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted