Featured Vaseline Novelty Items - EAPG or Later Copies?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Sep 10, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I normally don't post multiple items but as these are related and were purchased together I thought it might be helpful to see them as a lot. The slipper wall pocket is 6" long, the dust pan is 7 1/4" long and the top hat is just a little under 2 1/2" tall. The top hat pops up all over the internet so I'm sure there is a way to tell if it's EAPG or not but I just don't know about the other two. All three react strongly to black light. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you very much.
    Don

IMG_20190910_111302178.jpg IMG_20190910_111252700.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can't remember exactly, but I believe it was Kemple who might have remade these. Don't know if they made Uranium glass.

An area to look at.

UncleChuckTX, Christmasjoy and dgbjwc like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

i need help and UncleChuckTX like this.
  4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

All three pieces were originally made in the 1884-6 color period by factories in th Pittsburgh area.

The shoe on the left is a match holder (hang on the wall), a product of Central Glass Co. of Wheeling, WV. I don't believe it has been reproduced. The Whisk Broom was patented, and probably made by Campbell, Jones, Pittsburgh, also made by Geo Duncan & Sons, also from Pittsburgh. If the end of the handle is smooth, no flats, it was made by Imperial, if it has triangular flats on it, it was made by Either Campbell, Jones or Geo. Duncan & Sons. If the Hat has ground and polished spots on the top (the flat area opposite the opening) it too was made by Geo Duncan & Sons,l if not, all bets are off and could have been made by any number of companies in the middle of the 20th century.

Edit: Correct error.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for the helpful information. For the record, the Whisk Broom has triangular flats. I believe the top of the hat is polished. It has a much nicer feel than most of these hat have. It is also lighter in weight than examples from other companies.
    Don

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Don, and any others, Re; the hat, the four octagonal "hobnails" on the "corners" of the top were left long in the mold so they could be ground and polished to give the surface a flat place to sit.

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It has a bit of wobble but sits pretty well.

IMG_20190910_154511206.jpg IMG_20190910_154525583.jpg

i need help, judy, CHSH and 1 other person like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Great photos. The whisk pan, the only time I have ever seen anything like that was in Chalaine.
    Much good luck.

i need help, dgbjwc and judy like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, pearls, that's very kind. Not much of a sales history on these so I'll have to dig a little to find fair prices. It may help now that I know what the proper names for the whisk broom and the match holder. :) I don't have much invested so hopefully there will be a little profit in these. Match holder does have a few chips.
    Don

i need help and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted