Featured Venetian Glass? amber Compote.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Hi Folks.
    I picked this up at a tag sale today for $3. I Think it's Venetian Glass, but not as fancy as a lot I have seen. It stands 7 1/2" tall and 5 1/2 " wide. It is VERY lightweight, in fact Ryan thought it was plastic when he picked it up. It's light amber in color with a swirl design on the foot and stem, and the bowl is paneled. It also reminded me of those Egyptian perfume bottles in it's style. so i'm a little confused. No marks on it that I can find. Anybody have any thoughts? Thank you!
    DSCN4034.JPG
    DSCN4035.JPG
    DSCN4036.JPG
    DSCN4039.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

only that it's nice in a swirly kinda way....!! :happy:

Huntingtreasure and judy like this.
  3. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

I know practically nothing about glass although I have a few pieces. I responded because of your description. The term "Venetian Glass” fell out of popular use in the late 1930’s and certainly was already considered archaic after World War II (1945). It has been replaced with the term “Murano Glass”. Personally I prefer the tag “Venetian Glass”. It has an elegance to it that “Murano” seems to lack.

4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Thank you Walter! I appreciate you input!

judy likes this.
  5. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

It looks like the real thing to me, but I can’t call myself an expert. There are copycats out there from China and Argentina. Some of them even have fake Murano labels attached to them. They can sometimes be very well done, making it difficult to accurately identify. Other pieces clearly lack the quality to be true Murano. For example, the pontil may be rough rather than smooth and polished.

I love the elegant design of your compote!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted