Featured Venetian Glass Company Tall Clown, more information and is it worth anything?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Botanic, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Botanic

Botanic Member

Hi all

I'm back with my seemingly weekly what's-this-and-is-it-worth-something thread :)

This time it's a tall Venetian Glass Company clown, which I must admit I have a love hate relationship with. More of the latter. But when I get close to it the glass has such beautiful colour and design.

I've looked on line but was a bit bamboozled by the amount of info and the amount of different clowns out there. So any information most gratefully received.

I've got more photos if they'd help.

Many thanks

IMG_20191125_220952029 Small.jpg

IMG_20191125_220620873 Small.jpg

2. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

DizzyDaff, Bronwen, dgbjwc and 11 others like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Interesting link Chuck, good info ..kinda like the Murano artists that moved to Canada and made Chalet glass.

Bronwen, UncleChuckTX, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  4. Botanic

Botanic Member

Great, thanks :) Very helpful. That's something to look into further and will see what I can find.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Botanic

Botanic Member

Hi everyone

Just resurrecting this as I still have no idea how much this might be worth.

I've had a look around today for more info (thanks for the info above too). So it would seem it is definitely by Franco Toffolo, but not Murano. Toffolo by all accounts move to England in the 60s and set up the Venetian Glass COmpany in Blackpool.

Armed with that info, I have found this with a price tag:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-...339282?hash=item2879ee1a52:g:duQAAOSwdvpWDJUQ

And this without a price tag:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/franco-toffolo-clown-venetian-glass-161617100

And also a couple of non-clowns made by the factory. But can't really find much more. So I'm back to see if anyone with more expertise in the area might be able to help me with a valuation?

Many thanks

judy likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Valuations on these types of items are tricky in the best of circumstances. For awhile the market was flooded with clowns from China and I think that might have dampened demand for glass clowns in general. And the Murano/Italian market is not as lively as it used to be. Would you be trying to sell online or in a shop and how much do you have invested? How quick do you want to sell?

And sometimes it's best not to overthink. As there is one for sale at $275 that has not sold my temptation would be to list it on fixed price at $199 and see if I get any bites. A less appealing option is to start it at auction at the lowest price you can live with and see what happens. I say less appealing option because auction don't seem to generate as much interest as they used to unless the starting price is really low. And in this case we don't have enough of a market record to properly gauge the desirability. Hope this helps.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted