Venice - Painting/drawing? or print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by aaroncab, Aug 31, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Perhaps a charcoal w watercolor? I can't detect any dot pattern with my loupe. It's behind some type of very non reflective museum glass - which is great - but makes it hard to really see what type of work it is. The back has a thick black cardboard backing which is tacked on well and I don't really want to remove. The sticker from the framer(northern virginia) is on the back (I've searched online, can't find them - think they've long since closed up shop). The frame itself isn't terribly old.

I know there are boatloads of drawings of Venice out there - but this seemed to be a bit of a different perspective - and I liked how the artist portrayed the light, and the subtle colors.

Also - can anyone make heads tails of the signature beyond "H ' 48" which is what I think it says? (maybe 78?)

It's 16"x24".

Your time and help is very appreciated!

~

43482223775_aac3d5c2fb_kdev.jpg 44390092401_a354e4e59d_kdev.jpg 43482223775_aac3d5c2fb_kdev_1.jpg 30523209088_4966563dd7_kdev.jpg 44390097061_b125d12d80_kdev.jpg 44340782872_f5e5a671bd_zdev.jpg

i need help and judy like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

If you don't see a dot pattern, it probably is an original. It does have an ethereal quality about it. The artist deliberately skewed the perspective of the buildings in the back right.

I think you're right. There is a wash under the other medium. Not sure if it's charcoal. It could be conte crayon or a pastel stick. Conte sticks and some pastels are square and you can use the edge to create nice straight marks (with a quick swipe that feathers out) like I see here in spots. Conte doesn't smear quite as easily as charcoal. Those can be messy.

I guess I don't see a "48" If it's a number, I'd lean toward 46, but it looks like initials, or a very short last name.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd have said pastels as well. It's very reminiscent of some post WW2 styles here.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

reminds me of Jacques Despierre

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Totally, totally in agreement with Fid -- I'm coming at it from the perspective that this person was heavily influenced by the Cubists. In particular, the subdued palette of the analytic cubists.

I think the first part of the sig is a monogram (either jh or th) and I think the second part is a date (I see 46 or 76). edit: and would not be be a bit surprised if I was proven wrong on both sig and "date".

aaroncab likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Aaron. Another vote for pastels.
    To me it looks more open and free (if that makes sense) than Jacques Despierre's work, but I can see how it reminds Fid and Jivvy of it.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted