Featured Very cool ring, I think it's very old too. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by skyshark, Jan 31, 2023.

1. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Hey guys,

I appreciate you taking a look at this and greatly appreciate any input on it.

This is a ring I got from my dad after he passed away. ~2009, while I was deployed in Iraq, my dad through an online forum made a friend also in Iraq. After several exchanges my dad's friend started sending him a variety of jewelry. I don't know all the details but I believe my dad's friend was hoarding Saddams treasures or something. Speculation, wanna tread carefully, but my dad acquired quite the collection.

Anyways a few years after my dad passed I decided to start going through some stuff, wanted to find a ring to wear to remind me of him. Then I stumbled on this ring.

When I first found this ring it looked terrible. Inside the back of the ring was packed tight with dirt, bleach white sand, and layers of patina. I decided to wear it for a couple days then the bottom of the gem became visible, and the dark unassuming purple on the top started to glimmer.

So ya look at the pictures. I tested the gem with a heat density tester and it's amethyst. It's clearly silver as well, although i feel maybe mixed with gold? Ill do an acid test eventually. with some elaborate hand etching. Any info on it would be awesome.

I'm not looking to sell or anything, the sentimental value is too high for me, but some history would be cool .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Figtree3, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id wear that in a nano second ! It looks gold in your pics.No markings anywhere?

KSW, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

No markings on the inside. Just the engravings on the outside. I don't know why it looks gold in pictures, it definitely looks silver normally. Maybe gold mixed in? Idk

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Simple wriggle engraving with a few curved and straight lines probably from the same flat graver.

5. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I love how the engraving design is simple but looks so good on the ring. Also on the side there appears to be a horse? Not sure.

johnnycb09, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not a joolie, but I'm going to guess that the faceting of the amethyst makes it newer.

johnnycb09, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  7. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Yea the cuts are so good I don't imagine they could cut that precise past 100 years ish. I'm not an expert tho..

8. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Also, I uploaded 2x photos of the ring that didn't generate a thumbnail. They are from when it was still dirty, one shortly after the amethyst became visible. How much was packed in and around the amethyst I, not being an expert, doubt this was made in the past 50 years. Please tho I am open to my ignorance being enlightened. I choose the red pill 10/10 times.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you for your service !! :happy:

Africans, cover up their carvings in a hole in the ground , for many months ...so that they look like 100 year old carvings when they come out......

Just saying ! ;)

I understand the family connection you wish to preserve ....but don't let that blind you to an online friend who may have been sending Dad.....who knows what....from who knows where..

You were in country, & didn't u always have someone covering your six ?
    Did your Dad have any of these items looked at, inspected by another?

The workmanship on your ring.....to my eye.....looks rushed and unprofessional to be any great treasure...or that old !

kyratango, johnnycb09 and skyshark like this.
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

FYI, incandescent light will give silver with a yellow cast, making it look gold. Take a photo in sunlight and that should reproduce as silver. ;)

11. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

That makes sense, thanks

kyratango, johnnycb09 and Roaring20s like this.
  12. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Bro the whole time I was in Iraq we didn't get shot at once. My unit had an Angel looking over it.. it's hard to explain. Within a week of handing over our primary mission the relieving company lost 3 people.. My company and I were truly blessed. I agree some of the engravings don't line up perfectly and look rushed. Idk about being buried to look older, but coming from the middle east who knows. They love forgery and creating false value. Regardless I wear this everyday, it reminds me of my dad and God. I see so much beauty in the ring idc if it was a 25cent machine ring <3

Figtree3, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  13. komokwa

Hey man....that ring.... got Bling !!
    & the why you're wearing it.......s'all I need to know !!

nice stone btw !;)

I just gotta call em , like I see em ......

but never you mind me.....cuz you and that ring got it goin on ! :hungry::hungry::happy::happy::happy:

We're all looking forward to what ever else you care to show us .. don't be shy..
    knowledge is power !

Peace out !;)

kyratango, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. komokwa

ps....are there any marks on it.....even small ones?

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Here are some more photos

Attached Files:

16. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I see no other identifying marks.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  17. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Two things, I can't stress enough how much I am not an expert. However, my dad did teach me a lot. How tightly packed the dirt was in that ring with layers of patina and tight packed white sand... I think this was no forgery. Even on the inside from my perspective there is wear in the ring from the stuff that was packed in there.

Regardless this ring blows my mind. Which I'm sure is what my dad wanted.

Also, I will upload more stuff my dad received. Stuff ranging from swords, rings, bracelets, and gems. I have a bunch and I've been sorting through it not knowing what to do. I've been searching for somewhere to talk about it. Seems this might be the place. Alot I feel is junk but some I'm not so sure about

Figtree3, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. komokwa

no one here has suggested forgery......
    it's just hard to pin down...;)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Someone said something about people in Africa burying jewelry to make it look old. Which I'm sure happens but I don't think this ring was produced that way. I could be wrong. Again, give me the red pill please.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  20. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Which even if it was produced that way in Africa I wouldn't call it a "forgery" either. If it came out this way I'd call it badass lol. Keep making it that way

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted