Featured Very cool watch fob 14k Scottish Rites. Get gunk off?Age?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Dec 28, 2018.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this at an antique mall for $45. I was excited when I saw it, it was the last chain I looked at in the case. As soon as I saw the fob I was drawn to it and then I saw the 14k? 18k? marking hidden by the chain. It tested positive at 14k however the marking somewhat looks like 18k to me? What say you guys? Also, there is some gunk on the back.... how would I go about getting it off? I tried my fingernail to no avail. I was going to try some acetone on a tooth pick and slowly try to scrape at it to see if it budges at all. I assume this piece is early 1900s? 1920s? It weighs a whopping 9 grams! (Fob is 9 grams)(chain is gf)
    20181227_182202.jpg 20181227_182221.jpg 20181227_182340.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't know what the gunk is......it would help in getting it off though...
    to bad the chain's not solid.....but then it wouldn't have gone for $45 !! :hilarious::hilarious:
    Nice find !!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice find, spart.
    Try some alcohol for the gunk.

4. spartcom5

I worded that poorly, but the fob itself weighs 9 grams. 9 grams of solid 14k!

5. komokwa

the mark is in the worst place....but kinda looks like 18...

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say somebody got a good deal. I agree on trying rubbing alcohol on the gunk. You can try Goo Gone too if need be, but I'm not sure what it would do to the finish or enamel.

kyratango likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

You're right, it does look like 18k.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I honestly hope you're ALL right whether 14K or 18K (even better!!), and @spartcom5, you have it in hand so you should be able to see best of all, but I sort of thought it looked more like 12K following the curve of the loop........of course I hope YOU'RE right and I'm WRONG!!!!! AND then again, if it tests for 14K, it probably IS 14K!! I was unable to lighten the dark spot in the middle. Just the same, it's a pretty fob and I hope the 'gunk' comes off nicely without any damage to the item!!!!
    BTW, does anyone know what the word means under the double headed eagle???? Just interested to know!!

zzzzzCLOSE-UP GOLD.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  9. komokwa

my hope is in god..........

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The word is INRI. It's what was on Christ's cross when he was crucified and stands, in Latin, for Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews. IESVS NAZARENVS REX IVDÆORVM . J being I in Latin. Very Catholic, that.

I don't think either Goo Gone or WD40 would hurt to take the blech off.

i need help, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  11. spartcom5

Seems the gunk as been slowly coming off by slowly chipping at it with a wet paper towel. I got the gunk off that was covering the enamel and everything is in good shape. Will post a picture later on when I finish working on it!

I recently learned that it may be frowned upon if I wear this piece as I am not a Freemason. However, it is still a nice piece for the collection.

12. komokwa

she means the other side......inri is under the single headed bird..

13. Aquitaine

Thanks Komo, I was questioning the meaning of this lettering......and don't know if it's more than one word or not!!!! Thanks if anyone knows!!!

zzzzzLETTERING.jpg

PHEW!!!!!! AFTER MUCH adjusting of the letters, I got it!!!!!

The English translation of the wording "SPES MEA IN DEO EST" in the mark is "MY HOPE IS IN GOD".

zzzzzdbl head eagle pin.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

The English translation of the wording "SPES MEA IN DEO EST" in the mark is "MY HOPE IS IN GOD". (It's Masonic...)

i need help and kyratango like this.
  15. Aquitaine

Guess we got it at the same time, @SBSVC!!!!

i need help and SBSVC like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I guess neither of you read komo's post :) :

17. komokwa

Ohh, they likely did...& just thought I was praying to g-d to find the translation..!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Kimbert, Aquitaine, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

AH! I'd missed that, thought it was the INRI bit.

komokwa and i need help like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Or that it was a general statement, unrelated to the thread.:D

kyratango, komokwa and i need help like this.
  20. Aquitaine

Sorry Komo, I DID see your first brief post......but didn’t connect it.....kind of as AJ said.........:banhappy::banghead::sorry:

SBSVC, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted