Very Large Abscract Painting Signed "Maxwell,650"

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Nov 29, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Very large painting signed "Maxwell with what look like a number 650 but not sure,the name on the back say,Heat Drinkers or That drinkers",I was told it was not the famous Maxwell but just don't know,maybe someone know this artist and can give me some information,I bought it from a friend who clean out old homes that has been repaired ,it came out of an old attic about 15 ATtoD6EgXJou3VPEvLwUoA.jpg s6pqhDdqeyXw48wZ-fVORw.jpg 1H6ocwdQ--xPPIqm42ij5A.jpg years ago,need cleaning on stretcher but stretcher need to be replaced,no holes in painting.

anundverkaufen and aaroncab like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Psychedelic!

anundverkaufen likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Probably 'Heat Drinkers', with that fiery colour. Not really abstract imo.

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I’d look towards Paul Maxwell, his styles, techniques and mediums varied widely. The signature looks good even without the P.

Lucille.b, Jivvy, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Who is "the famous Maxwell"?

I agree with @anundverkaufen that Paul Maxwell is a possibility. He seemed to always put a two-digit year after his signature, so I'd say that on your painting it's possible that it is "65" with a round dot after that.

Just curious, @antiquelover69 , in what country are you located? And Welcome to Antiquers!

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. antiquelover69

USA,Memphis Tn,thanks so much,I'm enjoying the site.I've also listed on other antique forum.I love information on here,great! you are right Any Jewelry it is "Heat Drinkers".I tried to contact Mr Maxwell before he passed,his staff said no it's not his painting.I was shocked at their rudiness.I've had other sites said the same,it look like "P Maxwell" 3 other forums.Same signature.

Any Jewelry, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks! We have members from all over the world so just thought I would ask. Sorry to hear about the rudeness you encountered. Sometimes when people write back rudely they just don't want to deal with a question. I've noticed that in the past myself.

8. antiquelover69

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I don't see Paul Maxwell in this piece,although the guy's styles bounced around like a schizophrenic cat !

antiquelover69 likes this.
  10. antiquelover69

Thanks! been trying for awhile to find out about this painting

11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Usually the BIG Auction Houses either blow you off very politely-'We're sorry, Your piece does not meet our minimum consignment price' or invite you to submit more detailed pics/descriptions.
    The least these people could have done is look at Your photo and sent you a polite form letter-'We're sorry to inform You but in our opinion....' takes 3 seconds.
    Hell,even The New Yorker & The NY Times does that-and how many submissions do you think they get a day-prob 20-1000 times more than Mr. Maxwell's Estate does.
    Rude,rude and rudaciosly rude...
    Antique69-Why not send some pics to Christies,Sothebys and some of the other international respected auction houses-put your mind at ease one way or another
    -For godsakes You deserve some peace at long last.

12. antiquelover69

Oh thank you so much for your kindiness! it means a lot to me,God bless you.I will do just that,again thanks a million!!!

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Good luck @antiquelover69 !:) Will you let us know what they say? (Hoping they reply and are polite.)

BoudiccaJones and antiquelover69 like this.
  14. antiquelover69

I sure will!! thanks!!

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted