Featured Very old ancestor drawing?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bdigger, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Another item from the hoard my sister left for me. This is what I assume are Drawings of great Aunt Gweneth's Grandparents. They are set in frames which are several inches deep, and held together with square head nails. They look kind of like drawings to me, but I have never seen anything like them. She (gweneth) was born about 1900 and these are her great grand parents. I am stumped on where to look to even GUESS what they are and if they have any Value besides family lore. Does anybody know anything about these?
    Capture.PNG
    3.PNG
    1.PNG

cxgirl, sabre123, Batman_2000 and 6 others like this.
  2. Bdigger

I have one ofher Great Grandmother too. Same deep frame etc. Having trouble getting these resized so I can upload them. Will try for some better shots tomorrow.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cool picture, Mike! These may be what are called "solar enlargements" where a photograph is enlarged and the basic details drawn over with colored pencil or "crayons" (not the crayola type.) The beard style looks mid-1800's to me.

How was Great Aunt Gweneth related to you - by blood or marriage? Gweneth is a Welsh name.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think it's wonderful to see a representation of ancestors that far back.

The softness of the work makes me think of pastels. If they are pastels, be careful about touching the paper surface because the color could smudge or come off. I don't know if they had a way to stop that from happening in those days the way people do today with modern fixatives.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    judy, Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Bdigger

I believe she is my grandfathers sister........however I have never seen her name with any relation to Hoffman. her last name as I have always know it was Talbot(t) Rowe.
    I don't think it is a photograph. I think he is older the photography. Tomorrow when I can get the photo's straightened out.....I'll show the frames better, they are at least 3 inches deep.

judy, Any Jewelry and Pat P like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Those enlargements were often done from older methods of photography, not just the current ones. Or there might have been a painting of him that someone wanted to have a copy of.

Figtree3, judy and aaroncab like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

There are non-photographic "art projector" devices that can project an image on paper so an artist can use it to trace or draw over the image. My mother had one for doing her textile designs and I still have it... um, somewhere.

It uses electricity and light, though, and I don't know if pre-electricty they had some sort of equivalent device? I also don't know if this type of projector could take a 3-dimensional form, like a person's face, and project it onto a sheet of paper or canvas?

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The softness of the work makes me think of pastels...too !

judy, Any Jewelry and Pat P like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pastels was my first thought as well.
    Still working on a second....

Pat P and judy like this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I vote for "crayon" portrait also - solar enlargement then gone over with pencils and/or color.

anundverkaufen, Fid, Pat P and 4 others like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with solar enlargements. I have 6 or 7 portraits like yours of ancestors of mine that were done in the 1850s to 1865s. Yours shows a handsome gentleman of about 60 in 1850s.
    greg

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Many solar enlargements/crayon portraits provided a way to reproduce earlier photos. And sometimes photos taken at the same time of enlargement. I agree that is what this one is (and probably the other one, too).

Here's some history. The enlarger was invented in 1857 and the technique was popular from about 1860 into the early 20th century (a long time).
    http://sgarwood.com/node/52

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    anundverkaufen, Fid, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  13. Bdigger

DSCN4315.JPG ok. got the camera fixed. her are a few more pics. I am pretty sure it may be a crayon portrait as others suggest. wondering if I should take them out of the frame. the frame is very deep and the back wood looks old. there seems to be newspaper or something with writing on it behind the pictures, and I KNOW that's not good. Wondering what it could be and if it is from the era these were made.
    DSCN4322.JPG DSCN4325.JPG DSCN4321.JPG DSCN4323.JPG

Figtree3 and Pat P like this.
  14. Bdigger

Thank you all for your replies and input. I learned a few new things today! DSCN4318.JPG

komokwa, Figtree3, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Glad you got the camera going!

"Gwyneth" is definitely a Welsh name and she mentions her grandfather in England. It appears that her maiden name was Rowe. I will have to pull out my notes on your earlier family tree thread to see what pops out.

Pat P likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

What does the little note on the front of the woman's picture say? I see a "Philip" or "Philips"?

i need help likes this.
  17. Bdigger

it says......Great Grandmother of Phillips or Rowe.

I Googled James Taylor Rowe.....Born in Ga. in 1840. Died in Alabama 1884. assuming he is connected somehow.

i need help likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Found her! Gwyneth Bernice Rowe, born 26 Apr 1906 in Laurium, Houghton, Michigan to Joseph John Rowe and Sophia Bertha Holombo. Married Melvin Wain Talbott 12 Dec 1938 in Laurium. She died 5 Feb 1990 in Durand, Shiawassee County, Michigan, residence Owosso.

There's someone in your tree who married a Holombo but I can't remember who.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  19. Bdigger

That would be my great grandfather Henry. Married Minnie Holombo

20. Bdigger

so Gwyneth is only related to me by marriage. she was the daughter of my Great Grandmothers sister. Which makes her a distant cousin??? if anything....

Draft saved Draft deleted