Very Old,Antique Very Thin Large Photograph,Hanted Tinted B & W

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Mar 15, 2022.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I've had this photo about 28 years,I can't find out who this family is,there's a large home in the background like a mansion,I posted on another site and never got an answer.This was found in the back of an old print,appeared at that time someone had rolled it uo in the back. It's very fragile,the men look like twins, SAM_5775.JPG SAM_5776.JPG SAM_5779.JPG SAM_5780.JPG do anyone know the people on this photo,could be somebody famous

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doubt famous but certainly well-heeled. Going to be very, very difficult though to find someone who can identifying location.

Debora

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the men imo look nothing alike.... and no one here is famous ....

judy, terry5732, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

judy, smallaxe and kyratango like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Gelatin print for sure. Date... 1890-1900 or thereabouts. No way to be sure where it came from, or even which country.

antiquelover69 likes this.
  6. antiquelover69

maybe brothers or father and son,to me they look alike two with the mustach

judy likes this.
  7. komokwa

possibly.... as it looks like a family photo.....

8. evelyb30

Easter dinner maybe, if it's a warm climate. Everyone's in their Sunday best and the furniture isn't designed for outdoor use.

judy likes this.
  9. komokwa

maybe lunch....after church..

judy likes this.
  10. evelyb30

Certainly possible. Maybe the dining room was too small to hold the aunties and uncles and et ceteras. My great-grandparents had that problem. Eleven kids.(LOL)

judy and antiquelover69 like this.
  11. antiquelover69

my mom had 15 lolol

judy, Firemandk and Potteryplease like this.
  12. evelyb30

That'll do it!

judy, Firemandk and antiquelover69 like this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree that the men look nothing alike... other than they both have a mustache.
    Anyone else think the building in the background looks rather industrial? Maybe a company family picnic?

Screenshot (38).png

judy and komokwa like this.
  14. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I have owned 100’s of photos like this. Sometimes you get lucky and there is a notation on the photo or a documented scrapbook. I have only had 1 sort of famous set of photos from a mostly forgotten chapter in aviation history. The likelihood that your going to ID the people is about nil and not that many people were famous. If photos are documented though, they can be very nice for genealogy research.

judy, antiquelover69 and komokwa like this.
  15. antiquelover69

Thanks to all!

judy likes this.
  16. antiquelover69

I have so many old photographs,paintings,prints,litho,engravings ect I found in storages I bought at auction.Tintypes,whole albums,some with names,dated back to early 1800's and know nothing about them.I have researched a few but nobody I know.Some famous people have changed their names so I'll have to research more.

judy likes this.
  17. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

I'd recommend trying to identify some of the surrounding features. Some questions I'd ask:

1. What species are those trees?
    2. Do the windows in the building have grids? If so, what is the grid pattern? 4/0, 6/6, something else?
    3. Can you identify the food?
    4. The men look they are perhaps from Italy or central Europe. Definitely not British. If this was in the US, these could be unrelated people of the same ethnicity at a local factory.

Good chance you can identify the building and location if you put in enough work! If this is a factory or similar, you may be able to ID one or two of the people (perhaps the older guy was a manager?). Try to narrow it down to a location first and see how far you can go.

judy and antiquelover69 like this.
  18. antiquelover69

Thanks! I will start!

judy likes this.
  19. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

No problem. P.S. Thinking about it more, I'm wondering if this is a picture of 3 generations of the same family? Perhaps they were eating lunch at some famous landmark or building? Do you have a sense of the time period? I believe that bow ties were very common at one point (apparently between 1890s and 1920) History of the Bow Tie (buffalojackson.com). They also aren't wearing hats, which is interesting. Why did people stop wearing hats — maleza hatmakers A hundred years ago+ family photos were a big deal so would be fascinating if you learn more!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    judy likes this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

from the size of the windows/shutters and the ally it could be France.
    most probably a city - medium size - like Vichy, Nevers, Limoges etc..

antiquelover69 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted