Very old looking for any help on identifying. This is 24” x 32” oil on canvas.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Joe Collura, May 15, 2022.

1. Joe Collura

Joe Collura Active Member

2797DF27-A34C-459B-8834-F52745ECC370.jpeg 2D55F4AC-8DF0-4106-858F-2C1B261FD752.jpeg 3895FE08-3CD7-4A26-88C2-8D27AAF92F7C.jpeg 85D6B833-3962-4EAB-800A-3291C78C641E.jpeg Beautiful oil painting need some help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2022
    judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Joe Collura

I believe the signature is in this what looks to be painted over black area.

Attached Files:

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And you got it where? And they told you what?

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to be a (rough) copy of a Jan Breugel the Younger painting.

Unknown.jpg

5. Joe Collura

Hello Debora,

you amaze me always first of all thank you. I got this at an estate sale I asked for any info on it I could get. They said since they had no signature they did not know what it was worth. I do know it is very old could it be a Jan Bruegel?

6. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

I doubt it's a Jan Brueghel since the detail isn't there. Also probably not nearly as old. The nail heads are round and fairly consistent so probably post-1810 but sometime pre-1900. If you can't find any other less-intrusive dating methods, you could try popping out a nail from the stretcher to see if the shank is round or square.

Nails as clues to age (realorrepro.com)

Also, either the stretcher bars are warped from age or didn't fit that well to begin with. The bottom stretcher is fairly knotty so probably not higher end. I believe a more expensive stretcher would have been CVG.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Figtree3, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The original is in the Kunsthistorisches Museum. Yours may very well be a museum copy. (Until not too long ago in the pre-postcard age, artists could set up easels in museums and work directly from an original which they then sold to the public.)

Debora

8. Joe Collura

Hello Debora,

I am very happy with this information you and techbiker have provided. You guys are very helpful what a great group to be a part of thank you very much.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Joe, that is like asking if a painting could be a Rembrandt.:) If you ever found a true Jan Brueghel, you would be extremely lucky.

kyratango and BoudiccaJones like this.
  10. Joe Collura

Anything is possible it has been done more than once. But thank you for you comment.

11. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Is there a word written in the center of the top stretcher bar?

12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Joe-first of all,from your Pic,I must say You have a very noble profile.
    Secondly,I'd hazard that this was most likely not an original Brueghel,or any other German or Dutch floral still life from the 16th or 17th century.In the best originals,the speckling on an apple,dewdrop on a leaf,and light glowing thru a petal is truly miraculous.Like comparing your 10 year old TV,to one of the new 3D Big Screens,maybe better.
    It looks more to me like a 19th/early 20th century very ambitious study of an older piece.Like the way Van Gogh's early studies clumsily but vigorously strived to imitate old masters,before he found his amazing style (but,hold-on Joe,I'm not saying it's definitely a Van Gogh study). I do like the energy and vigor to it,could very well be,as Debora said-a fairly ambitious museum study.
    But who knows,could be wrong-art's quite a trip.One painting could change your life,and your grandkids,and their grandkids-BIG find,and you'd have to start a Foundation !...'Tonight's Episode of Downton Abbey is Presented by the Generous Contribution of the J. Collura Fund & Viewers Like You'.

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted