Featured Very(?) Old Wooden Trinket Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 15Stiftgasse, Jan 15, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello.

I'd be very grateful if any experts out there were able to offer any information regarding the estimated age of a small trinket box which I recently acquired.

The box measures c. 8cm x 3cm and is made of a light (in weight) wood, perhaps birch (?). The sides appear to have a single piece of veneer facing which joins at one of the corners. The carved lid depicts children in period costume at play.
    There is worm damage on the lid and quite significant age-related wear in general. I'm not sure what the short dark streaks on the lid are.

Possibly the style of hinges may give some indication as to possible age, which I assumed to be C19th or possibly C18th(?). However, I'll keep an open mind at the moment, as there are so many convincing copies circulating of just about everything !

Thanks to everyone !! P1030651.JPG P1030636.JPG P1030638.JPG P1030640.JPG P1030653.JPG P1030646.JPG P1030642.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It could be a tobacco box.

15Stiftgasse, J Dagger, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I know nothing about such things. What I observed is that on your box where you would expect wear on the middle of the lip of the top of the box caused by opening and closing, there is little evidence of it. Perhaps, yours was just created and rarely used. @Houseful's shows wear there.

15Stiftgasse, judy and Houseful like this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

The design looks to be pressed into the wood rather than carved at least on the sides.Birchwood is a soft wood and would not be great for carving . Both your box and the ebay box have the same black lines. Far fetch idea -could those be some kind of government markings like a tobacco tax stamp. Trying to think "outside the box":joyful:

6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:playful:
    Birch can have those black lines, and it can be carved.
    Birch is mostly a northern wood, and the style looks northern European to me too. I wouldn't rule out the northern parts of Central and Eastern Europe.

15Stiftgasse, J Dagger, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks right to me for an early to mid 19th century pressed wood snuff box - would think birch as well, and guessing perhaps German, though the bit more common round ones were French...

~Cheryl

15Stiftgasse, judy, tyeldom3 and 3 others like this.
  9. 15Stiftgasse

MANY MANY MANY THANKS to all you guys for the fantastic response.
    It looks like the case has been cracked. In fact, the box posted by Houseful looks about as close as you can get to a twin !
    So - A late 17th/ early 18th century birch snuff box. European.

Not sure whether to keep it or sell it on, as it's not the type of thing I normally collect. At least I can be reasonably sure of getting my €30 investment back on this one !

Once again, thank you ALL very much for for being so generous with your time and effort. It is sincerely appreciated.

judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Good buy!

15Stiftgasse and judy like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I don't see children playing,looks like 2 "nobles" about to be stabbed in the back.

15Stiftgasse, BaseballGames and judy like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT’S an amazing looking box!!! And I do agree with @Hollyblue that there are two knives or swords most definitely pointed at two individuals backs!! I DON’T know if they are children or adults, with one holding a dog as well, and someone dropped a knife?? But what I question MOST is that the WHOLE box seems to have the thin ‘layer’ of carving on all sides (except the bottom).....making me wonder if....just from the pictures, obviously, if it’s not some sort of a wax or resin overlay?......it’s very visible on all sides & top shown.....might also explain the ‘holes’ in the lid?

EC74D5E0-9A47-4615-9EBA-FA004906B368.jpeg

judy, Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

15Stiftgasse, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

15Stiftgasse and judy like this.
  15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Please take into consideration that sales descriptions and anecdotal notes are not necessarily accurate, and asking prices are often extremely optimistic - these pressed wood snuff boxes are typically attributed as 19th century, late 18th at earliest...

Image search for "pressed wood snuff box":

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...hUKEwirrfzOwZ7uAhWB2FkKHfF1CvQQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

This lot, sold at Brunk's in 2018, includes one with Schwanthaler's statue of 'Bavaria' in Munich, not even unveiled until 1850:

https://www.brunkauctions.com/lot/11-continental-pressed-wood-snuff-boxes-3229269
    pressedwoodsnuffboxlot11brunksresult563.JPG

pressedwoodsnuffboxlot11brunksbavariastatue.JPG

This French one commemorating the 1805 Battle of Austerlitz, is at the British Museum:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/H_1878-0110-1
    pressedwoodsnuffbox1805britishmuseum.JPG

Recent 'Solds' on eBay:

pressedwoodsnuffboxsalesresutsebay.JPG

An 'Unsold' box with the Swedish Royal Arms:

pressedwoodsnuffboxswedishroyalarmsunsold17499.JPG

~Cheryl

16. 15Stiftgasse

Hello again ! It looks like my enthusiasm was short lived ! After further research on the net, I am now of the view that the box is probably 19th century and made of laminated or pressed birch. It just goes to show that you need as much evidence as possible before you can make a final conclusion ! And how 'optimistic' the appraisals of some sellers can be, when in pursuit of a profitable sale !

Thanks again to you all !!!!!

17. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Still a cool find!
    Leslie

Aquitaine, 15Stiftgasse and J Dagger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted