Featured Very rare Goldie & The Gingerbreads 1965

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vintage Maven, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

From my collection:

I made a vintage record shop owner drool a little when I walked in with this...we had chatted about girl bands and some rare records out there by them, I had mentioned I had this record, and brought it in to show him, he was very impressed.

This is an absolute mint condition 1965 Decca Records UK 45 rpm first pressing of Goldie & The Gingerbreads/Can’t You Hear My Heartbeat (This is the original version before Herman’s Hermits came out with their very well-known version)

*Goldie & The Gingerbreads have the distinction of being the first all-female band to be signed to a major record label (Decca), the girls played all their own instruments.

C0382662-84A2-4EC5-8929-166E11B19A27.jpeg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

have you seen the Honeycombs? [girl drummer]

"Have I the right" was a big hit (video on youtube AFAIK)

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Had not heard of them, although Decca certainly a big enough label to give serious promotion if wanted. Were they a Canadian group?

4. Vintage Maven

Hi @blooey Yes, I am familiar with them, I’ve seen a copy of the LP with that song on it in the vintage vinyl shop I go to just up the block from where I live. I’ve been kinda hummin’ and hawin’ over that one....no one has bought it out from under me....yet lol

Ghopper1924, blooey and Bronwen like this.
  5. Vintage Maven

Hi @Bronwen They were from the U.S. the song Can’t You Hear My Heartbeat was a big song for them in the UK, hence Herman’s Hermits doing it. The girls actually toured with the Rolling Stones there, I’ve seen the photos.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Vintage Maven

Goldie & The Gingerbreads in 1965 (actually Goldie is the one standing in the middle of the photo, Genya Raven).

03ED2F97-EDF9-4434-AF22-46FD3E8160FE.jpeg

7. Vintage Maven

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wiki tells me that the Herman's Hermits version was released in the US ahead of Goldie's, so it got eclipsed. You can hear the NY accents even when they sing. Must have been quite something to hear them talk. Think Fran Drescher.

9. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

The Gingerbreads we'd been wholly unaware of. But Genya Ravan, sure -- bit of a Janis wannabe with Ten Wheel Drive, later some work with Lou Reed... a woman not constrained by genre...

10. Vintage Maven

I learned about GATGB first, then found out about Genya’s other music after. I have her 1979 LP in my collection called And I Mean It!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. Vintage Maven

This is one of my favourite 1960’s all-female bands from Liverpool/UK. I discovered their sound through my parent’s influence many years ago. Ladies & gentlemen....The Liverbirds!! (singing The Yardbirds)

blooey, Ghopper1924 and BaseballGames like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted