Featured Very Tiny "Find"

Discussion in 'Art' started by scoutshouse, May 11, 2015.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Miniaturist Gilbert Mena marquetry

It took us awhile to figure out that out of the zillion teeeeeny miniatures glued to the walls and in shadow boxes at this estate, some were actually wonderful handmade dollhouse furnishings along with a few Takahashi birds, a pair of bone binoculars and this:

Miniature_Limoges_Don's Prints.jpg Miniature_Limoges_Don's Prints-2.jpg Miniature_Limoges_Don's Prints-3.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW! Nice! :)

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yes, very nice! Was this typical of the quality at the estate? I would have been in miniature-lover heaven! :)

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive got JUST the space for that in my dollhouse ! :) I will say that having bought handmade miniatures, you NEVER get back what you pay for them.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  5. scoutshouse

Not typical across the board - there were hundreds and hundreds of really junky pieces, but there were good pieces scattered throughout.

Our head appraiser/pricer is very territorial - once I found the first Takahashi bird, everyone realized there were these little ringers around and she dropped everything else. Even so, it was too late to research them all, so she ended up grab bagging them :( they went for very little.

I never did get a good look at those. I was too busy pricing pots and pans, but continued to comb through the rest of the house as the sale went on and found a second, older Takahashi on the last day of the sale (turned it over, of course).

This Mena piece was showcased, no one bought it - now it's mine! haha

I am going to sell it johnnycb09 - should I let you know when I post on eBay, or do people negotiate here? I don't know the rules.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Glad you got it! :)

We have a sub-forum here for offering things for sale. If you click "Forums" it's under "Marketplace."

7. scoutshouse

Thanks, Pat P
    That's cool!

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  8. KingofThings

WOW! > 'Our head appraiser/pricer is very territorial'
    This seems to very much injure the owners does it not? Therefore the biz as well. :p

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. scoutshouse

Yes - I agree

She and I were loaned out to another estate seller - she worked first day, I worked second - when she returned on the third day, she realized I had worked on the jewelry (at the seller's request) and flipped. Literally hyperventilated and refused to continue.

I would have called and asked her advice, but I knew she'd be upset just to know I was working on it! So I just went for it, thinking she could double-check my work and continue on - I'm sure she would have done the same.

This all played out in front of the estate seller. We basically begged her to finish the jewelry and continued on as if it never happened... sheesh.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

Oh My. :p

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm sure she would have done the same. ..............

Don't be so sure.....she sounds like a bitch who's sooner scratch your eyes out , as ask your opinion !!

( but that's just the way you make her seem...........or is it ? )

12. scoutshouse

I meant I went for it and priced the jewelry, knowing she'd probably be upset. I just didn't count on that reaction! In a way, I was glad it happened - someone else saw it and remarked on it. She really was hyperventilating! lol

She's just threatened, for no really great reason - she's very good at what she does, but never had to share before. She doesn't seem to respect me much! that's why it seems odd she's so easily put out.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. KingofThings

That's not good.... :p VERY insecure...exact opposite of you. :)

scoutshouse likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hostile workplace....need I say more !

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

Yikes! How nice... :p

16. scoutshouse

Not exactly - I'm a conflict-phobe...
    But I'm working on that! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

Sometimes..... Fill in the blanks...... ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted