Featured Very unique Large Bench.. Please help identify

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dirbyjr, Nov 19, 2017.

1. dirbyjr

dirbyjr New Member

I have a unique oak bench with unknown provenance but presumed to be turn of the century to 1930 +/-.

The bench is just over 8 feet (2.5 meters) long and about 26 inches deep (about 65 cm).

The bench provides no makers mark or identifying characteristics that I know of but would love your input.

From wear on the top of the bench I believe it had at one time had a cushion but do not know if this was original or added later.

I can say that I bought the piece in deep East Texas and it appears to have been there for some time and knowing old Baptist churches as I do I don't feel like it was once a backless church pew as these are unheard of in non-Catholic areas of the South.

Any help to identify this great old bench would be greatly appreciated.

Tank You,
    David I.

Attached Files:

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I could see this as one of a pair of benches to be used with a trestle table.
    The size would accommodate a large family or be very useful at harvest or roundup time when there were many people to feed.

3. dirbyjr

dirbyjr New Member

I think that is a definite possibility, the only thing that makes me question this bench further is the depth. At 26 inches deep it is much deeper than would be required for seating at your average trestle table. I have a feeling ( and only that) that it was meant to be sat on on either side as in a railroad or other such waiting area. I have however had futile attempts at demonstrating this because of a general lack of similar specimens.

I may in the end find that you are right.. Thank you for the input.

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Dirby, I can almost see that, especially if it were pushed up against a wall, but then (to me at least) the casters wouldn't make much sense.

5. dirbyjr

dirbyjr New Member

The castors are definitely weird. If it were meant to be used outside, ala trestle table, the castors would sink into the ground. But if it were used inside the castors would be a hindrance to proper use. Either way I'm not certain about them.. they definitely could be original but I have no way of knowing for certain.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It certainly saw some use,so Id think its a meeting house bench.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

At that size, would think this has to have been made for some type of commercial use lost to history.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, It will make you sit up tall at least!!!!!

Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, i am goin with Brad on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted