Featured Very unusual ethnic granulated silver and turquoise ornaments

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I've had some good luck at the local Savers with silver. They seem to overlook most tribal silver. It was where I've found various Native American silver pieces at costume prices. Today, I picked these beauties there. They remind me a bit of Slavic temporal rings. Of course, with the turquoise inserts, I suppose that's doubtful. I'm thinking Middle Eastern, but there is also a large Native American population near where I live, so they might be Native American... I'd love your thoughts!

upload_2020-7-29_3-36-10.png
    upload_2020-7-29_3-36-27.png

upload_2020-7-29_3-36-44.png

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, Barn. Not very unusual though, there are quite a lot in this style. They are Central Asian, possibly Turkmen, possibly Uzbek.
    Most of these have a hinge, am I missing something?

The ring with a semi-circular decorated part is to be found in many ancient cultures across the world, it is the first step up from the plain ring. It is still found in most continents.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    KSW, kyratango, reader and 2 others like this.
  3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Strangely, these don't have a hinge. On one end, the ring is separated from the semi-circle, and there is a hole there. Perhaps the remains of what was once a hinge?

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Many of these were temple pendants (side of the head, not the building;) ), rather than earrings. The hole may have been for a thread to keep it in place, so it didn't flip over to one side.

KSW, antidiem, reader and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted