Victor Vasarely signed framed and matted serigraph print op art

Discussion in 'Art' started by dude, Dec 26, 2019.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about the value of this and if anyone on here collects his work. Sales of his pieces seem to be all over the place. Sorry I don't have the dimensions right now or better pics as it is in storage. As I recall, the artwork part is around 12" x13."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Please................that's just a framed open edition print likely used by the Print Club as a give a way...or some such thing...... $ 20 at the most....or $2 at a yard sale..
    Not Ltd Edition.....& the siggy may also be printed...

Check here to see the correct size of his real prints..

https://www.kunzt.gallery/art/victor-vasarely-red-blue/

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Vasarely was notoriously popular around 1972-1973, not sure since then, tho I suspect @komokwa is correct.

dude, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree that it has no value IF the signature is written. Vasarely worked in all sizes and there are very small limited edition prints. I agree that as an open edition your piece has minimal value but if it is pencil signed it’s worth more than $20 in my opinion.

Lucille.b and dude like this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I would check the signature with a loop because I have handled and sold a few Vasarely serigraphs and some were mass produced with what appeared to be a pencil signature but was printed. The serigraphs I sold had the editions (i.e. 2/222) and had Publisher's blind stamp such as Editions Denise René, Paris. You would need to remove this from the frame and check for a watermark/blind stamp as well. Likely a mass reproduced print without a noted edition.

Daniel G, komokwa, Lucille.b and 6 others like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, reader and dude like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I agree. The signature must be checked. Just sayin’ that if it is pencil signed it has some minimal value if authentic.

Last year a “savant” bud picked up one of the signed numbered Folklore Planetarios for nothing at a thrift. He has a great eye but no knowledge so he sent me an image asking if I knew what it was. I cracked up when I saw it and told him but didn’t know value. He was then sure it was at least a $1000 print (again, it’s the size the OP stated). I thought less so I said I’d research. His is a beauty. I found the exact one closing at $350 to $450 so again, if your print is artist signed it does have some value but far less than a limited edition print. Certainly should be worth at least $100 but then again, auctions can be a surprise both good and bad.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Lucille.b, KikoBlueEyes and dude like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

antidiem and reader like this.
  10. antidiem

Totally agree. Even with bad eyesight and no detail pictures, the signature looks printed on the serigraph. I don't see any edition number either. Perhaps OP @dude will show us some detail / close ups?

@laura9797 , thanks for your insight. I want to mention that the number "2/222" for a print is a low edition number struck when the plate is fresh, desirable as a low number edition in an authentic signature print, but suspicious in a serigraph by my way of thinking. The low numbers on original art prints are often retained by the artist, gifted to friends, sometimes reworked and used to make further plate adjustments.

komokwa likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Just want to add that Vasarely is still very popular with Modernist collectors here in the US. He’s really the father of Op/Kinetic art which is finally being celebrated in the US after decades of being a predominately South American movement of the late 60s and 70s.

laura9797 likes this.
  12. antidiem

Thanks, @reader ! :happy:

reader likes this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

No idea visually here if it’s signed or printed but agree that it’s pretty worthless if printed other than on a decorative level. As a limited edition print collector, I don’t personally consider the specific edition number when buying but I do not buy prints of large commercial editions. I think the largest edition I’ve ever bought is 300 (other than Jeff Koons) but I only collect American post WWll prints.

14. antidiem

So interesting, @reader , and my print collecting habits were similar, although I would collect any print I liked. I only consider the edition numbers, as having been a former print maker artist. I made some low editions of "A/P 1/20... and so forth" and these are actually more valuable than the final editions from any artist, as historically, it shows the artist's intentions and thought processes. I was also taught this at my university in the 1970s. Thanks for weighing in on this print.

I do think it's just decorative and nicely framed. I hope OP will return with more information for us about it. Close up photos of the details.

I have a small "booklet" of Vasarely's prints from back in the 1970s. I picked it up in New Orleans, I liked his work.

reader likes this.
  15. antidiem

Thanks, @Lucille.b , agreed. I have always found a museum gallery print edition to be well-made in general, as a slightly higher quality than sheer "decorative". Not sure that would actually translate into a lot more money though.

reader, Fid and Lucille.b like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I respectfully disagree that it has no value IF the signature is written.

Hard to disagree with something I never said.......................:inpain:

17. antidiem

LOL : I GOT IT, Komo! (((HUGS))) <3

komokwa likes this.
  18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Apologies if I misquoted but IMO $2-$20 is pretty much no value and “real” limited edition signed/numbered Vasarely prints definitely were made in small dimensions. Again, I agree that it’s of your stated value if it’s not pencil signed but the dimensions are OK and I can’t read sigs off a small screen.

komokwa likes this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree. Personally I care more about pull number on lithography than screenprints but really don’t care about either if I want the image. The only huge edition I ever bought was my Koons and I almost didn’t buy it for that reason but now sorry I didn’t buy more lol.

Vasarely has really come into his own now. I’m sorry I let go of mine years ago. I had one of the large prints. I like all those guys and would hang another one in a minute if I found a limited edition at a price. Can’t believe my friend bought his for $10 and gave it to his son.

The OP’s is a wonderful image and agree that it’s highly decorative but it would be great if it were pencil signed.

20. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Will come down to whether the signature is printed or not. This print is not from the museum, but offered by the club according to the label on the back. Is it just like something you'd get in a museum store? Possibly. But can't hurt to look into it just the same.

My elderly neighbor received monthly prints in the mail in the 1960s, from some print club. Sounds like they would be worthless, but he sold one for $2K, and it wasn't by far the only one with value.

Not saying the OP's piece is worth anything like that, but definitely do a little more research into that signature, etc.

Here's an idea. The Print Club of Cleveland just celebrated it's 100 year anniversary, lot's of stuff online from philanthropy to active membership, might be an idea for the OP to contact them. With so much info on the back of this print, publication number and year, they might easily be able to give info.

komokwa and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted