Victoria Austria Red/Orange Crown

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MIRED, Jul 29, 2020.

1. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Hope I'm not wasting anyone's time as this little fruit/dessert dish is not in great shape. I've found the pattern is VTOVTO189 and unavailable at Replacements.com. My question is the mark - I've found the same mark on a reference site and on the back of various Victoria Austria porcelain items online. But it's almost always green and mine is an orangey-red. I did find one item online with the same mark in red but no explanation of its meaning. The green one is for 1904-1918 and I'm wondering what date the red one is for or any other info. Thanks so much. IMG_6906.JPG IMG_6909.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Mired - you should be aware that the "pattern name/number" you found at Replacements is only their own assigned code and does not come from the manufacturer. It's only good for locating pieces there and not on any other site.

Afraid I am no help for the mark.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This is from Röntgen's book of marks. It looks like "Austria" may be what determines the date range.

img20200729_102932.jpg

kentworld, MIRED and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Altrohlau and other parts of the Karlsbad surroundings belonged to Austria earlier than 1904.

kentworld and MIRED like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

Google translator isn't very good. Is there any indication that the crown Victoria Austria mark was used before 1904?

MIRED likes this.
  6. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thx - I did not know that. Nothing is simple.

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

8. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

may have to do with the everchanging ownership over the years.
    Lazarus & Rosenfeld were "investment bankers" and resold it after a while.
    and it ended with these stamps....
    [​IMG]

MIRED likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

The info on the Sammler site is a little confusing. It show the Austria mark but says it's Czechoslovakia. Could be right date wise, hard to know for sure.

This is what Röntgen's book of Marks on German, Bohemian and Austrian Porcelain 1710 to the Present has for the different marks used though my book is from 1981 so there certainly could be more recent info. It doesn't address the color of the Crown Austria mark but uses "Austria" for the date range.

upload_2020-7-30_7-33-18.png upload_2020-7-30_7-33-49.png upload_2020-7-30_7-34-29.png upload_2020-7-30_7-34-50.png upload_2020-7-30_7-35-12.png
    upload_2020-7-30_10-47-25.png

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  11. MIRED

MIRED Active Member

Thanks all! Looks like it's a genuine antique most likely.

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted