Featured Victorian 10k Moss Agate rose gold ring!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Nov 19, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Picked this up today, paid $40 over scrap for it. The stone is completely secure. Ring overall is worn but still looks nice IMO. It is Victorian correct? That was what I was told. The marking I have never seen before, it appears to be a STAR inside what? Any thoughts are great thanks!
    20171118_160825_resized.jpg 20171118_160949_resized.jpg 20171118_160835_resized.jpg 20171118_160859_resized.jpg 20171118_160927_resized.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like it was engraved with someone's initials, and it was worn to death. No clue about the X mark.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's not engraved with initials,a separate shaped piece of metal has been soldered onto the inside of the shank.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

How can you tell Holly? Why would someone want to do that anyways? Very interesting, never knew that was ever done. I know the ring is well worn BUT it looks great on hand and its a nice big ring that fits me. I sorta feel it adds to the history of the ring, hard to explain and probably silly but being well worn just tells me this ring was worn for a long time and just thinking about the places it went back in time is very cool and adds a sort of history to it. Now would you all agree late 1800s Victorian?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think late 19th century would be right. Can't find the star mark, it is probably a manufacturer's/maker's mark.
    The stone is a dendritic agate, not a moss agate. Moss agate is greenish, dendritic has little tree-like structures in a lighter, often near clear ground.
    I like it when a piece of jewellery has history, so I don't mind the worn initials on the inside.

Christmasjoy, judy and Houseful like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe it came from an older ring, owned by a loved or departed relative, for instance.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Love the moss agate!

judy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It could be some sort of really old repair too; the Victorians and other old school jewelers did some weird stuff, at least to modern eyes. I even have a gold-filled bracelet with a gold repair on the inside. It probably happened when there were still price controls on gold, but now no one would repair a costume piece with precious metal.

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think it's Victorian. It's a lovely piece, a well worn, beloved ring. I'm not surprised the owner had it repaired.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted