Victorian (1800s?) wedding shadow box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hudmond, Sep 21, 2018.

1. hudmond

hudmond New Member

Trying to get an idea as to the value on this. It has a very intricate frame and contains the wax tiara and other pieces items that are worn in the photo of the bride and groom. IMG_20180921_124241.jpg IMG_20180921_124252.jpg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi, I hope you don't mind, I copied your photo, cropped, rotated and brightened it. Maybe someone will be able to tell you about age from the clothing and hair styles.

WeddingPhotoCU.jpg

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Hudmond!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Hudmond !!! ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

:) Welcome to the Forum, Hudmond! A full photo of the back of the frame could also be helpful.

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is that surround...the wedding garter belt....?

7. hudmond

hudmond New Member

here is a photo of some sort of maker's mark or signature on the back of the frame IMG_20180921_153914.jpg

this shows the hanging hardware
    IMG_20180921_153824.jpg

and here is the full back
    IMG_20180921_153713.jpg

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Hudmund. Where did you get this lovely keepsake? It may just be a wild guess, but the bride's outfit makes me think Eastern European.

9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I am wondering if the "gathered" material might have gone around (covered up) the stems of the flowers in the bridal bouquet and made the bouquet easier/more comfortable to hold.

I also remember brides "used to carry?" a "fancy" white lace or nicely embroidered in white thread white handkerchief at weddings. After the wedding that handkerchief was stored in a safe place.

The "wedding" handkerchief was then carried by the woman at the baptism(s)/christening(s) of her child/children.

Christmasjoy, i need help and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted