Featured Victorian brass syringe?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Jun 6, 2017.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I have this interesting brass syringe, marked with the company name "W & H Hutchinson, Sheffield". As you will see in the photos, it also has Queen Victoria's royal coat of arms! I've been unsuccessful in finding another example. Does anyone know exactly what this syringe was for, and when it dates to? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like what was used to insert mercury to combat venereal disease.:eek::eek::eek:
    greg

KingofThings and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Looks like an ear wax syringe.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the dental device in this thread: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/what-is-this.7904/
    (see posts 6, 23, and 24). Ultimately identified as a tool used by dentists for mixing molding material and squirting it into trays for taking molds of a patient's teeth. Not for injecting anything into the patients themselves.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. David Askett

Thanks, interesting guesses all!

Here is the coat of arms that is on it:

[​IMG]

...and, I found an advertisement for the company, from 1834, that specifically mentions "syringes of every description":

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I use mine for injection pork butt and brisket with apple juice and spices before putting on the smoker :)

000_8029.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Don't mean a needle was attached.....
    These things suck....& blow !!

sy·ringe
    səˈrinj,ˈsirinj/
    noun
    noun: syringe; plural noun: syringes
    a tube with a nozzle and piston or bulb for sucking in and ejecting liquid in a thin stream, used for cleaning wounds or body cavities, or fitted with a hollow needle for injecting or withdrawing fluids.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

David, here's one that's similar, identified as an irrigation syringe:
    img0 (81).jpg
    http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/exhibits/tbird-park/html/pre/medartfs.htm

...and a different one, but with a royal seal:
    img0 (82).jpg

The best "identification" I saw was from:

the Medical and Scientific Artifacts Gallery of the Museum of Yesterday:

While this ominous looking instrument could have provoked a bit of fear in a patient expecting a hypodermic injection, it is actually a simple syringe for irrigation of the ears, or for use during a surgical procedure where internal irrigation or suction was required. Ringed syringes were used in procedures where careful positioning of the discharge or needle was required, such as spinal taps and deep organ injections.

http://www.museumofyesterday.org/sci_med/index.htm

You also will sometimes see them identified as veterinary or equine syringes. It really depends on how big they are.

David Askett and KingofThings like this.
  9. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Your leather cup is oriented for suction. If there was any back pressure while depressing the plunger some would blow by the cup.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

OH MY!!!
    He says with so very tightly crossed legs.

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. David Askett

Thank you for your helpful replies, SBSVC and terry5732!

SBSVC, you do seem to have found a couple of close matches to this syringe. I guess the royal coat of arms could be used on products from any manufacturer who'd received a royal warrant of the "By Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen" type? I've found mention of the royal coat of arms appearing on cases of surgical sets provided by W & H Hutchinson, which l lends support to this idea, but this syringe is the only individual instrument by them I've found with this on it.

Interesting point about the syringe being set of for suction, terry5732; I wouldn't have noticed this.

D

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

David, there's actually a decent explanation of that "By Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen" royal warrant on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Warrant_of_Appointment_(United_Kingdom)

The "appointment" is not permanent, and many different providers may have or have had the "right" to display "royal approval" on their merchandise or in their advertising.

13. David Askett

Thank you again, SBSVC. Okay, so now I need to determine if this company received a Royal Warrant and, if so, when. That would at least give us an earliest possible date for this syringe.

Draft saved Draft deleted