Featured Victorian brooch depicting two Knights, any idea whom are they?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    I have purchased the attach brooch, nothing too fancy, but I like the knights and the design of the brooch.
    Any ideea what actually is depicting?
    A story would be nice :)
    Also, in the description was mentioned that it's Victorian, do you concur?
    I think the stones are glass, they don't glow in UV light and they are too pink to be garnet.
    The metal I think it's brass, probably gold plated. Screenshot_20211003-225558_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211003-225614_Gallery.jpg
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There are many pink garnets with a variety of shades,see link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pin...uMDZcQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1250&bih=617&dpr=1.3

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The outer frame is designed to be similar to a garter, as in Order of the Garter. It's an order of chivalry, so some designer added knights. I don't think there's a story here.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The construction is certainly in line with late 19th century production. The colour of the stones is more in line with amethyst than garnet, especially from the period. Amethyst does not usually glow under uv light.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Simona.
    Historic Revival, and I'm with @Ce BCA , the stones look like amethysts. If the brooch is brass, the stones could be amethyst glass.
    The tube hinge on a separate base was introduced in the last quarter of the 19th century. The added pin on a chain also indicates late 19th century.

The theme, with one of the knights with a closed helmet, reminds me of a 13th century Brabant (southern Low Countries) epic story called 'Karel ende Elegast'.
    In the story the Frankish king Karel (Charlemagne) goes out incognito (closed helmet) and wins a fight against a black knight. The black knight turns out to be his former friend Elegast, who was banished from the royal court. When they talk after the fight, Charlemagne discovers that Elegast is still loyal to his king, Charlemagne, who is still in disguise.
    Some more adventures follow, but the essence of the story is that someone shows loyalty, even when he doesn't know that the other person is in fact the king he is loyal to.

In the 14th century 'Karel ende Elegast' was included in a German collection of Charlemagne themed epics, so the story became known in Germany.
    I couldn't say for certain that your brooch depicts 'Karel ende Elegast', but I do think your brooch is German-made, so it is possible.
    Karel/Charlemagne became the first Holy Roman Emperor, which could be what the cross on the armour of the knight on the right signifies.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Found this illustration, the cover of a Belgian comic book:

upload_2021-10-4_12-54-15.jpeg

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Certainly late 19th. That garter thing is wildly common here.

Bronwen, LauraGarnet02 and Fid like this.
  9. Bronwen

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

those knights are so generic, they have no meaning.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

My position exactly.

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Simona Buhus, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Orientalist combined with Victorian ornate jewelry? I could roll with that.

Simona Buhus and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted