Victorian Calling Cards

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by cxgirl, Nov 28, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've never had these before so I was quite excited to purchase a bag of them today. Some of them have 2 different names on them, one hidden inside and one on the back. I found a site that has lots of information about these cards but I didn't find anything on why there would be 2 different names, so I'm hoping someone will know the answer. Also, the one is photo #4 - what does it say?
    Any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking.
    DSC01763.jpg DSC01758.jpg DSC01759.jpg DSC01761.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Here is my favourite one, plus a a close-up of some of them
    DSC01762.jpg DSC01757.jpg

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Xlated from German:
    For diligence and obedience

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you spring!

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY nice!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

CXGIRL. Speaking of coincidence - Great! :joyful:

Please post that URL you found. I'm running between appointments today and until
    Wednesday when I hope to get a GeekSquad'er in here.

And, as normal, I cannot immediately put my hands on the one I found a few days ago while going through some 1800s, early 1900s family records.
    A Christmas card I believe the same size. About 2x3. Correct? I was surprised how it is put together. About 6 or more different layers, in different sizes and shapes. And one thought of the customs back then, if I'm right.

Inside, hand written to my maternal grandparents - "To Mr. and Mrs. XXXX from Mr. and Mrs. YYYY."

And one other question, if I may. How was it delivered? Mail, or dropped off? In an envelope? Were those included in your find? Or they didn't use them?

I hope you don't mind answering questions when you came looking for answers.

Thank you.

:)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    cxgirl likes this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Lucky you to have found one from your family TOG! Yes, I should have put these sites in my first post, sorry about that - they are on the bottom of this post.

By the beginning of the 19th century, the etiquette of calling was a firmly established ritual in society, and the calling card an essential part of introductions, invitations and visits. Calling cards evolved in England as a way for people to get into the elite social circle, and for those already there to keep out the unwanted. Calling cards could keep social aspirants at a distance until they could be properly screened.

The cards were delivered by hand - I have found some with envelopes but I don't know if they all came with envelopes and there were no envelopes with mine.
    Mine range in size from 1 3/4" x 2 1/2" - 2 3/4" x 4" and have different layers, some have a piece/flap that lifts up to uncover a name or saying (Spring translated the one for me)
    http://www.daysofelegance.com/callingcards.html
    http://www.literary-liaisons.com/article026.html

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted