Victorian chest of drawers, help needed please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Christopher George, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Christopher George

Christopher George New Member

hello everybody!
    I have recently joined as I’m starting to fall in love with antiques, I was recently given I believe to be a Victorian chest of drawers, it has a glass top which is currently in storage while I’ve been using the chest of drawers in my living room, if any body could tell me anything about it I’d be much appreciated as iv searched the web trying to find more about it, sadly the women who gave it to me is not longer here but my mum has said it’s been in her family for years, I can’t work out the age, type of wood ( it’s very heavy and solid) appears to have no markings of manufacturers apart from numbers ingraved in the back. More pictures could be taken if required, many thanks
    image.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.
    Appears to be 19teens - 1930s walnut veneer chest of drawers. I'm basing the date on the handles if original. If they have been replaced the cabinet may be as early as the late 1800s.

Brad will be around tonight. So if you could post a picture of the inside of a drawer, inside where the handles have been attached and the type of corner joint. That will help him.

James may be here sooner.

@verybrad
    @James Conrad

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Use of mum makes me think you are in England ….. ;) English burl walnut chest and think Clutteredcloset is right on with the dating. Would think the handles original.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And I LOVE the wood pattern on those two drawers together!!!! Nice chest of drawers!!!!:):):)

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Or after a long recent discussion, you may call it Burr. In the US we call it burl. ;)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, poster/chest is in UK?
    I'd say Cluttered has this about right. Nice figure on that walnut, you can usually tell if drawer pulls are original by removing one and see if witness mark on drawer is same.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

We'd call that a tallboy. That burr walnut was wildly popular here in the 20s and 30s, but I too would like to see construction and handle backs.

8. Christopher George

Thank you everybody for the help currently in work so pictures will follow soon, any idea on how much it’s worth?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not what it ought to be. £50 to £80 or so. Which is sad.

10. Christopher George

Hey everyone been busy with work so haven’t had time to get more pics, after looking at it in more detail I was amazed home well it’s been made and the type of joinery on the draws is impressive, definitely not like chests you can buy today

Attached Files:

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Christopher! I like your chest of drawers. And you mentioned that somebody gave it to you? She must have known that you would take good care of it. The walnut veneer is lovely.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted