Featured Victorian furniture identification.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Moriarty, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Hello there from Canada. Just a young collector who picked up these pieces last year from an old gentleman who said they were his great grandfather's. He said they were Victorian, probably not worth a lot but I wanted confirmation anyway. Thank you for any assistance. Been lurking awhile so nice to meet everyone.

There are two pieces. An oval occasional table. Guessing walnut, possibly just an Eastlake or Renaissance revival? 28 inches high.

No idea on the chair though. Very pretty carvings. Originally had hunter green fabric, didn't like it so I upholstered 19th century fabric to it. Edited to say the chair is also stuffed with moss.

PXL_20221011_201640193.jpg PXL_20221011_201640193.jpg PXL_20221011_201714856.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20221011_202159943.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20221011_201734185.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20221011_201815486.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20221011_201752390.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Born2it, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Victorian all right. A real expert will jump in, but the table looks to be 1870s with a replaced top. The original was generally marble and often broke. I like what you did to the chair! Odds are at its age the upholstery was replaced at least once already anyway.

Born2it, judy, Ghopper1924 and 4 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very pretty chair. Id guess Mahogany.Could we see where the table is attached to the base?

Born2it, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

The chair could be Victorian, but I think 20th C. What it is, at any rate, is quite unusual, as to both construction and decoration. I'd say the fabric rather suits it.
    You're right about the table, though. There is an element of Gothic revival to it, so you could use the E word to loosely define it. As to age, I'd say newer also.
    PS So, you didn't die at the Reichenbach Falls either!

judy, Ghopper1924 and bobsyouruncle like this.
  5. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Thank you everyone for the replies so far. If it further helps date the chair it is filled with some sort of grass. Flax perhaps?

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Born2it and Moriarty like this.
  7. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Born2it, Ghopper1924 and Debora like this.
  8. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

You are quite right! I remember the gentleman said the hunter green was under an ugly pink upholstery and asked me if I wanted it off. I kept the hunter green for a while before finding that lovely 19th century fabric.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. evelyb30

Sounds like you found one my grandfather "fixed".(LOL)

Moriarty likes this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Moss! I wouldn't have thought it, with such a beautifully carved chair. Johnny said mahogany, and I'm inclined to agree. Would guess Art Nouveau ca. 1890s. Quite accomplished! The table is walnut ca. 1870s-80s, Renaissance Revival. Does the top tilt? Anyway, like you I'd call it an occasional table. It may have originally had a marble top, or it could just as easily have been made with a wooden one. Either is possible, though I lean towards the latter.

Victorian furniture is still depressed, Moriarty, so now is the time to acquire as much as you can. Just don't plan on retiring with the resale in a few decades. Happy collecting!

Born2it, Moriarty, verybrad and 2 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

On the other hand, filling a house with it is currently cheap and it's better quality than flatpack!

12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Welcome! I lurked too for a few months.

Born2it likes this.
  13. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Nice to see a young person taking an interest in that "ole brown" furniture. Lovely chair.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is. And a respectful choice of upholstery fabric.

Debora

15. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Thank you my friend, pleased to meet you. I have a number of other Victorian pieces as well, perhaps I can share them on the forum sometime. I flipped the table on it's back and tried to take a picture. It may assist in solving any ambiguity.

Thank you also for everyone's warm welcome. Personally I always saw antiques as a very eco friendly solution. Very wonderful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see your other pieces!

An excellent point about the "green" aspect. Very true! Surprising that more eco-conscious people don't buy antiques for that reason if no other.

johnnycb09 and Born2it like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you'd be amazed at how many folks don't want other peoples old stuff , no matter how wonderful and how much life is left in them..

johnnycb09 and Born2it like this.
  18. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

On this vein, one can sign up to Antiques Are Green here https://www.antiquesaregreen.org/sign-up/
    They have changed somewhat, but their aim is still to promote the reuse part of the whole being "green" thing. The only contribution they ask is for you to receive their newsletter.

Born2it, Moriarty and Ghopper1924 like this.
  19. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Thank you for the kind reply. Should I make a new topic for my other pieces. Is there a limit of antiques per post?

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A new thread for each item, or at least a similar grouping.....that way we are better able to serve you !

You get around 10 pics per individual post..

Born2it, Moriarty and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted