Featured Victorian glass cameo casket - Mary Gregory?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I found a piece very unlike the things I normally pick up. In this case I saved it when it was literally on its way to a dumpster because of covid-19 disrupting the normal estate handling chain. No one to research this and the other cardboard boxes full of stuff, and no place to keep it, so just discard it. Yes, this is happening.

I quickly found an identical item that had been auctioned (https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/38830137_3-14-x-4-black-amethyst-art-glass-hinged-jewel) but note that the one in the link is missing its base, present on mine which identifies the metalwork as being from Middletown Plate Co (1866-1899).

I noticed the name Mary Gregory is used a lot when listing these glass cameo caskets. Does anyone know who she was, and whether this one would actually be by her; or is it a style of glass making that is named after her like Kleenex?
    P3262347.JPG P3262352.JPG P3262348.JPG P3262345.JPG P3262346.JPG P3262349.JPG P3262351.JPG P3262350.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You should have no trouble finding info on Mary Gregory on the Internet. It's the decoration that is being described as being by her or in her style. I've only seen a little of her stuff, but would say in her style only. But mine is not a word you should take for it.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That one sold for $400, so looks like connoisseurs accepted it as genuine Mary Gregory.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

What a sensational find!

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Hooo Boy... Mary Gregory was a young woman who painted at the Boston & Sandwich glass factory sometime in the 19th Century. This is fact. The Barlow and Kaiser four book series on Sandwich glass very gently points out that the bulk of the work done by Mary Gregory was of the "Farmyard in snow painted on white glass" variety. the white glass representing the snow on the ground and roofs. Left out of the books, but they often related privately the finding in her attic a box of gathered balls, possibly kept when found in her yard. Didn't like little boys and girls playing in her yard. This last an assumption. It is known that once impasto painting on glass could be done to emulate cameo carving, it was done indiscriminately by anyone with a brush and a kiln where they could fire the decoration. (This last, too, is speculation) but Mary Gregory didn't do it.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WONDERFUL!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!:):):)

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

so glad you were able to save this beautiful piece:) makes me sad to think of so many treasures that might be on the way to dumps during this time

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It's a beauty alright, good score!

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

GORGEOUS !!! ... Joy. :)

Bronwen likes this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

If ever I loved a Mary Gregory piece, this would be the nicest one!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very unusual to still have the silk lining in place and in such nice condition.
    Lovely.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  12. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

What Cherryhill fails to understand is that Mary had the ability to paint with both hands and both feet. She did this twenty-four seven. This must be, because there are so many works credited to her. :wacky: :joyful:

13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yah, "like Kleenex" I think! ;) But this one is beautiful!

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Work like this was advertised as "quarkmal"(sp) ie white painted by Bohemian decorators.

Draft saved Draft deleted