Featured Victorian? Glass Cherub Face & Wings Brooch With Safety Chain

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by nology, Apr 2, 2024.

1. nology

nology Active Member

Looking for a little help with this one. The only thing I've found that's similar is attached in the photos but it looks like it may have been modified to be a chain later on in it's life. I haven't had it tested but was unable to find any markings indicating if it were gold or not.

IMG_4566.jpg IMG_4567.jpg Screenshot 2024-04-02 162406.png Screenshot 2024-04-02 162316.png

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely old. The chain on the bottom is a really old safety chain. This had a different pinback originally, you can see where it broke off, and a different clasp. No idea what they made it out of.

3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Very pretty! The pin back is definitely an update...you can see the old tube hinge leftover. A lot of 19th stuff isn't marked for content so testing would be smart.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That might be a carved rock crystal Georgian piece, that might.

5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Have someone with a gem tester confirm rock crystal!!!

KSW and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. nology

nology Active Member

Back from the jewelers and its not rock crystal. Sadly, it also isn't gold. I've reached out to the company selling the similar piece as gold so we'll see how that goes.

kyratango, KSW, mirana and 2 others like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s still a stunning piece of jewellery.
    I’ve seen some costume pieces make more money than gold or silver. I think this would be a very desirable piece and a great find :)

kyratango, mirana and Bronwen like this.
  8. nology

nology Active Member

Still no word from the jeweler listing this at 14k. I did have another jeweler look at it and tell me its probably worth $25.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

And the rest!

KSW likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with the statement that some costume pieces can be worth more than gold or silver, and jewelers can often be clueless about these pieces.

mirana and KSW like this.
  11. evelyb30

Seconded. A local jewelry "expert" sells Meh sterling earrings at $15/pair, but sold me a Schreiner necklace for $30. Sold it on eBay while the selling was good... somewhere between $500 and $600. Oops! Fine jewelry "experts" often have no clue.

Bronwen, mirana and nology like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Amen to that. I’ve had more good stuff from the clueless Clever Blokes who only know British hallmarks…..

I cite Neiger beads for one whole quid.

Bronwen and mirana like this.
  13. evelyb30

It's what keeps us going in for more.

The one that made me want to tear my hair was a "we buy gold" guy. He bought entire jewelry boxes and took out the gold and silver, but wouldn't sell on the rest of the box. I stopped going in there because I could see closed jewelry boxes piled in the back and NOTHING was ever going to be for sale. Who knew what was back there.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This should be an indictable offense!

mirana likes this.
  15. evelyb30

The store was part of a local chain then. They're independant now. I have to wonder if the boxes are still there.

Draft saved Draft deleted