Victorian GP ? Swastika Locket

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by janettekay, Jul 27, 2014.

1. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

This belonged to my great grandmother..she was born in early 1890s I think. My question is will Ebay allow this listing...if worded correctly...(ie predates WWII,etc. )
    And what is the name for those blackish faceted stones--I knew that once and forgot!!!!
    1/1/4 " D..

I find no mfg marking ...

Thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

No chance. We know you are right, and the occasional ebay person might know you are right, but it would be 'more than their job's worth' to admit it.

Right don't help none. It's ebay. You can't sell Cuban stuff from the Spanish American war because modern Cuba is embargoed. This is not a US Gov. law, it's ebay gold plating it.

Under the rings and the card (remove gently) there may be marking on the front or back to identify the material, it may be 9 carat back and front, it may be rolled gold. I doubt if it is gold plated.

I wonder if the black bits are jet?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The stones look like marcasite from what I can see.

You can probably see where the engraving went through the rolled plate.

You may or may not get away with listing it. It seems like lately, with the extremely slow traffic on ebay, some of the people missing are the reporters.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

If you don't put swastika in your title or description, most button pushers will not even come across it.

It used to be if you got something pulled for a policy violation such as listing ivory, you would get a strike that would stay on your record for a while and lower your standing in search. But I recently listed something that got pulled for a violation, and all they did was tell me not to relist it, so maybe they're just giving people warnings nowadays.

I relisted the item without using the offending words in the title or description, and it sold without being pulled again.

However, you can never be too cautious with ebay since they seem to enforce their rules and punishments willy nilly, so it's possibly a risk to list it and a choice you'll have to make.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. janettekay

took one ring out...says..W8cH co. ? in a heart ...so far can't get other ring off..one that is over swastika..

6. tie.dye.cat

W&H Jewelry Co.

W&H Jewelry was a Providence, RI based company who made jewelry and watch attachments. They were in operation from around 1943-1965 and offered WWII sweetheart jewelry.

7. janettekay

they seem way too dark for marcasite to me (but what do I know!!!) They do look more like jet...(soory the pics are not that good!

8. janettekay

Ouch!!!

Though I was told the piece was my great grandmothers..and these are her initials...AT
    now I am confused...

9. tie.dye.cat

10. tie.dye.cat

I found several more similar to yours, but conflicting info on what the stones are...

paste, shaved glass, mine cut brilliants - just to name a few I came across.

I double checked the info on the W&H jewelry company and found the same dates listed for that company on another site too.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They look like rhinestones that have lost their silvery backing. Some times referred to as "dead stones". With the years listed for that company I can not see them using that symbol. I think your locket is indeed older than 1943. Even the engraving is hand done and older. That of course is JMHO.
    greg

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

So far as I know, Wightman & Hough was in business from 1856 to 1922 - extremely unlikely that any 'Swastika' jewelry would have been produced here in the mid 20th century...

~Cheryl

13. janettekay

yes..description unreadable.....AND ..how can these be selling as Victorian with the company dates as stated..??? So now I am really confused..I must now assume the family attribution dates are wrong...and if indeed WWII jewelry..I am mortified. (and hoping now it did not belong to my family).
    As an aside...my 99 year old mother is with me this week...and I just showed her this...she does not remember it and know who it belonged to .(but then..she also does not remember what she had for lunch! so sad..)

14. janettekay

Your post crossed with mine...
    Oh I hope so....re: dates...

15. DragonflyWink

From a 1904 trade publication:

wightmanhough1904JCtrademarks.JPG

~Cheryl

16. gregsglass

Hi Janette,
    It is NOT a Swastika anyway so you do not have to be mortifed. The nazi symbol was bent the other way. I have several Homer Laughlin pottery pitchers with these symbols all over them as well as salt boxes. They have been good luck symbols for years in many cultures.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  17. DragonflyWink

It is a swastika (the name of Sanskrit origin), it is not the Nazi 'hakenkreuz', a hooked cross set on point. Unfortunate that an ancient symbol and decorative motif, used by so many cultures, has become so firmly associated with such evil...

~Cheryl

spirit-of-shiloh and gregsglass like this.
  18. tie.dye.cat

There must be a different W&H jewelry that I confused this with?

I shoulda stayed away from posting today as I keep getting things wrong.

ETA: Seems that there is a Harwood W&H JEWELRY CO also out of Rhode Island with a W&H signature?

19. janettekay

I also just found the earlier dates..including some vague patent info for the company from early 1900s...so I am feeling better....
    except..now I can't get removed ring on flush or remove other ring..!!!

20. gregsglass

Hi Tie,
    It happens.
    Cheryl thank you for "straightening" me out. I just hate using the word swas.....
    since it does have such horrible images.
    greg

tie.dye.cat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted