Featured Victorian marble topped walnut sideboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by wiscbirddog, Apr 24, 2020.

1. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Recently moved my 97 year old mother into an assisted living apartment, in a very small northern Wisconsin town. I have been clearing things out to get the house ready for sale. Had planned on doing a local auction but due to Covid concerns it looks like I'll have to wait until next year and put this into storage. Personally I'd love to keep it BUT it is 8' tall and my ceilings are only 7.5'.

Dimensions: 8' tall, 54" wide and 25" deep with the jut-out part of the marble measuring 26.5" deep. The marble has crack in it. The marble is very solid but I suspect it was reinforced with some type of glue. Will probably know more about that problem when someone very strong moves it.

She purchased it in the late 70s or early 80s, for $2750 (US).

Here are the "facts" she was told about it: Victorian (1840-1860), burled walnut, possibly German, came out of a mansion in Duluth, MN.

The other drawer is 'open' with no dividers.

The built-in drawers inside the one side seem awkward to me as they aren't dovetailed, just nailed. Also, the handles just don't seem to 'belong' IMHO.

My questions: How accurate to you think the age is and whether it really might have been made in Germany (I have my doubts)? Are the dovetails handmade? I understand that brown furniture prices are in the basement but hoping someone will have a realistic idea of a price. Also, any suggestions for how to market it once Covid restrictions are lifted? I know of one place in Appleton, WI that carries high-
    end Victorian pieces - not sure if they take things on consignment or do only outright purchases.

Looking forward to comments to help me along the way. Thanks!
    full.jpg front.jpg top.jpg topside.jpg shelf.jpg drawer.jpg dovetail1.jpg drawers.jpg drawernail.jpg crack.jpg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

That is 50 shades of brown! In a good way...very pretty!

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Stunning! Love it! Could be German but probably American. High end...could be Berkey & Gay of Rapid City MI, or more probably from the northeast U.S. Wood is walnut. Drawers are machine-dovetailed. Your date is close...it may be closer to 1870-75.

If you're lucky you may get what she paid for it back out. More probably, somewhat less. If you get a new piece of marble cut with contours as close as possible to this one, you may get somewhat more.

Thanks for posting!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Gorgeous piece of furniture. Can you cut a hole in your ceiling? :):D:D

judy and wiscbirddog like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very stately !!!!
    Good Luck !!!

judy and wiscbirddog like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Renaissance revival style and an 1870s date is spot-on. Very nice piece but probably under $1K in my neck of the woods. Wonder of the top crown comes off easily so that you might be able to use it?

7. wiscbirddog

My mother has been suggesting that for years - LOL

I had never given a thought to removing the top crown. . .hmmmm, when we get around to pulling it away from the wall I'm going to have my BIL (excellent wood-worker person that he is) take a look at what would be involved with doing that. Thanks for the suggestion Brad! Then I would even have a surface to display "Castellana" (alabaster & marble Giuseppe Bessi piece) on - nobody in the family wants her either. I was going to move her for the picture of the marble crack, found out I'm not as strong as I used to be. She must weigh close to 50# and decided to just leave her be for the time being.

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Your mother gives good advice!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Very nice, you should try and keep it if possible, it is MOM'S! Your size problem with it is one reason value is so reduced for a lot of Victorian furniture, it's simply too big for today's houses so potential buyers are greatly reduced.

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I could live with that crack very easily!!:cat:

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Had a dresser with a crack and all I did was slightly separate the two pieces and put candle wax on both edges and pushed them together. That repair is still fine. The granddaughter of the woman who bought it still has it.
    greg

Ghopper1924 and wiscbirddog like this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Wiscbirddog:
    If you decide to take the crown piece off (should simply unscrew or lift off, unless someone glued it) be sure to store it with the piece. DON'T throw it away! Too many pieces have lost their crowns in a foolish attempt to "modernize," and the result is almost always less $ value for the piece. As a buyer, I won't buy a piece that's "blown its top."

13. wiscbirddog

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. David38555

David38555 Member

Stunning piece. They don't make stuff like they used to. Everything is basically disposable now.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful piece. I love the craftsmanship of antique pieces (which is one big reason why I love antiques). I hope you are able to use it and keep it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted