Victorian Opal Opaline Milk Glass Shell & Seaweed Mug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kaudet, Mar 23, 2020.

1. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone

Hoping someone can help with the maker of this Victorian era opaline milk glass mug with embossed Seaweed and Clam Shell design. It has small brown painted flowers. It is marked with impressed 44 on the bottom. My only guess is Consolidated Glass Company at Fostoria, Ohio Victorian Opaline Clam Shell seaweed Mug w Petite Brown Flowers clam mug 1 mystery.JPG Victorian Opaline Clam Shell  seaweed Mug w Petite Brown Flowers clam mug 2 mystery.JPG Victorian Opaline Clam Shell seaweed Mug w Petite Brown Flowers clam mug 3 mystery.JPG or Dithridge but have not been able to verify either. It measures 3-1/2" at the rim and stands 3-1/2 tall. It has a foot and slightly scalloped rim.
    Don't know if you can call this a mustache mug as it does not have the bar. It has a ring handle. Have not been able to find any like it.

Any help is much appreciated...
    TIA
    Kathy

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can only comment that it's a scallop, not a clam. Might improve search.

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You might also try coral rather than seaweed in your search.

Maybe @Cherryhill has some ideas. :happy:

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I know you said this is glass. And I can see the seam in the bottom of the cup which porcelain wouldn't have.

However, it sure made me think of Ott and Brewer porcelain.
    upload_2020-3-23_12-12-27.png

5. That tea pot does not resemble a blown glass form of any period im aware of, nor do any of the attachments; handles and spout. If I’m commenting on the correct piece, I am prepared to wager it’s not glass. Sorry

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

So is cluttered:

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

It's not. It's porcelain by Ott and Brewer. I only showed it as it looked like the OP's (original poster's) glass mug.

Go to the first picture at the top of the thread.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. I’m having some difficulty following these threads, sorry for chiming in.

9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Is the 44 raised above or is it below the surface? Can you show a better picture of the handle? Typically it should show a seam.

10. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

The 44 is inscribed/impressed into the glass. Will try to get another photo of handle

11. This is the second time I am trying to post a response. My images were duplicated when I went to change to a full size image. This software is the worst imaginable, don’t let anyone tell you differently; I could not even find an option to delete my reply but I think I managed after 10 minutes to undo the duplicate pics.
    This is my final attempt to end this mystery as to the ceramic milk glass mug!

I believe I have followed this thread correctly but I’m still a bit confused about the subject handled mug. Am I missing something here or are do you still feel your mug is milk glass?

That is not glass! It was glazed and fired. The handle attachment is a dead give away! With the exception of pressed glass pieces, even later Victorian era as well as studio made handle attachments look nothing like that. One can clearly see where the second gather was applied for a handle or rigaree.
    These are early to mid 1800’s pieces;
    look at the attachment and termination details. Note the attachment and termination details; they start at the top and finish at the bottom. Later 1800’s pieces start at the bottom and terminate at the top.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    BoudiccaJones and George Nesmith like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

The Mug under discussion:
    upload_2020-4-29_23-28-56.png

These are Historic milk glass' examples:

upload_2020-4-29_23-25-1.png
    upload_2020-4-29_23-26-0.png
    upload_2020-4-29_23-27-59.png

BoudiccaJones and George Nesmith like this.
  13. I know nothing about this Victorian piece but looking at the last pic you posted the handle looks almost like glass? Can you post a close up showing where the handle is attached to the body? Thanks

14. clutteredcloset49

@kaudet

Draft saved Draft deleted