Featured Victorian or Modern Bride's Basket

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 16, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This was sold to me as Victorian, but in trying to research it, I became confused. Perhaps, it is a modern reproduction. I will try to describe the elements that might be important in helping me determine if it is old or modern or maybe you'll be able to decide by just looking:
    1. The basics - 10 1/4" in diameter x 4" tall. The flat bottom is 3 1/2" in diameter.
    2. It is cased glass with a white exterior and a very pink interior.
    3. It has a clear rim that has a thin pink edge on the very top.
    4. It is ruffled and fluted.
    5. It is clear that it is missing the handled metal base, as it becomes bowl-like midway down its height and there is a slight indentation at the top of the bowl part.
    6. It is unmarked.
    7. It is not highly polished.
    I hope these clues might help determine its age. Any comments appreciated.

IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0261.jpg IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0266.jpg IMG_0267.jpg

2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

That is beautiful! Not that I know anything about it but it does remind me of Fenton.

pearlsnblume, judy, Tanya and 2 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Fenton made these for sure. So did others. The question for me is is this a newer reissue or an original. Thank you.

pearlsnblume, judy and ulilwitch like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

It sure looks like Fenton Peach Crest double crimped bowl #192. It was made from 1942 to 1949. According to Fenton Art Glass Patterns by Margaret & Kenn Whitmeyer these pieces consisted "of glassware with an opal exterior layer with a Gold Ruby interior layer. After the piece was blown & shaped a thin crystal edge is added to form the crest."

5. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. The reseller sounded certain that it was Victorian, but I know Fenton continued to make them after their heyday as bride's baskets. Thank you.

ulilwitch and judy like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

In this case, this piece was never used in a bride's basket frame & most of the Victorian ones I have seen like this had a pontil on the bottom.

7. KikoBlueEyes

I don't understand the indentation in the middle then, if it never sat in something. I would think that this was to allow it to sit on the edge of a base, but I really was just guessing. I will investigate the pontil aspect in Victorian baskets. The problem is that some sellers will say anything to market their piece, on the other hand, I trust the members here, like you to give me the straight scoop. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The foot is to make it sit flat, a lot of their vases and bowls have a similar foot.

ulilwitch, judy, KikoBlueEyes and 2 others like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I can't contribute any info, but it is a lovely color and it sure would make a nice item on a table filled with cookies etc for a bridal shower or baby gender reveal or if one has a pink kitchen..

ulilwitch, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent point. I will look for that in the future. Thank you.

ulilwitch and judy like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Well. I bought it because I believed it was Victorian. I have a small Fenton Collection that I can put it with, but I try to avoid pink mostly. :):):) That has to do with being dressed up all the time when I was a child in little pink dresses.

ulilwitch, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Kiko, I am not a big pink fan either. I honestly don't think I have ever bought clothes that were pink. It didn't go with my reddish hair so I never wore it, but I totally get what you are saying about how parents dress kids in things they don't care for. Been there done that.

ulilwitch, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

They wanted a girly-girl, and tried very hard to create one. I turned out to be a nerd tomboy. I feel for them. :):):):)

dgbjwc, ulilwitch, judy and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted