Victorian photo turn of 20th century

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Squidsworth, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Squidsworth

Squidsworth Active Member

Hi all,
    Does anybody have any thoughts on this photo? It's by a photographer called Ed Lindemann based in Loughborough around late 19th beginning of 20th century. The subjects look well turned out and I wondered if anybody recognised them? Or have anymore info on the photographer?
    It's framed in a nicely detailed wooden boots frame, can anybody date the logo presiciely? Is photo albumin or carbon do you think?
    Many thanks as always.
    IMG_20180324_103128.jpg IMG_20180324_103134_1.jpg IMG_20180324_103143.jpg IMG_20180324_103150.jpg IMG_20180324_103153.jpg IMG_20180324_103846.jpg

Batman_2000 and judy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This tells when gigot sleeves were in fashion. These ladies are no doubt wearing their best & newest.

And the lettering on the Boots label looks art nouveau.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

He abbreviated his name; it's Edward Lindemann.

4. Squidsworth

Thanks, I think 1899-1904 as found he had shop around then, not sure what abbreviations mean here though: KL 1899, WRLE 1899, KL 1904

5. Squidsworth

Ps stilk can't find any other examples of his photos though. :-(

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Boots had shops all over the UK, and there is some historical information about them on the National Portrait Gallery website, about halfway down this page:
    https://www.npg.org.uk/research/programmes/directory-of-suppliers/b.php

Seems that their earliest recorded framing ads were from about 1894. I'd say this photo is from the mid to late 1890s, mainly based on the very voluminous sleeves on the dress of one of the women. Those were popular in the mid-1890s. By the late 1890s things were changing, I think, more like what the woman at the left is wearing.

You didn't mention the size of the photo, but sizes larger than standard cabinet cards became much more common in the late 1890s and later.

7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

The women look like sisters or mother and daughter.
    Patd

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well my first thought was four siblings.

9. Squidsworth

Thanks, I'd agree about date as that would suit the little I've found out thus far. What is typical cabinet size photo? Haven't measured yet but about 10"x7 or 8" ish I'd think?
    On closer inspection I'd think maybe a younger couple with parent's? Or just a family. But a fairly posh bunch by the looks of it. :)

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My thoughts on the image are mother and daughter, father and intended.......and if one was to read anything into the women's faces, I'd say daughter is steadfastly resolute, and mother is fit to be tied!!!!!!! But that's just MY take:D:D:D

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Squidsworth

:D indeed, the facial expressions are not exactly ecstatic lol. Lots of books on view too, maybe religious?

12. Figtree3

Can you read what's on the cover of the book on the woman's lap?

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Handsome family but more bourgeois than posh. No jewelry to speak of. Books used as props. Framing done at Boots.

Debora

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bet it's a volume of poetry.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Figtree3

May well be! I've also seen religious books, song books (probably not this one), etc.

16. Squidsworth

Sadly cant read any book titles, and I guess not that posh then. Nice rug and table cloth though. Btw I believe Lowry got his stuff from boots so probably more distinctive back in the day than now. :happy:

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

18. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I know this was posted a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't resist looking the photographer up!

He was mentioned in the Nottingham Evening Post, 28 Oct 1904:
    Nottingham Evening Post - Friday 28 October 1904.png

In 1901 he and his wife Laura were living in Loughborough, Leicestershire with one-year-old son, Edward. By 1911 they had moved to Sidmouth, Devon. His occupation is 'photographer' on both censuses, and his birth was in Prussia, Germany around 1867.

clutteredcloset49 and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted