Victorian pictures

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SeaGoat, Nov 11, 2015.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I bought some victorian pictures at auction.

There is one in particular I want to frame and display.
    They are out of an old photo album and glued to those black boards.

If I display it in a frame will it fade over time?
    Id most likely put it in a northern room on a northern wall to keep as much sunlight off it as possible

Attached Files:

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Positioning as you describe is the best way to avoid additional fading. But, photos do fade even when kept in one of those big black books. Nifty photo!

SeaGoat likes this.
  3. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Thank you! I saw it and had to have it!

Is there any sage way to clean them?
    There seems to be gunky areas on it

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Pat P likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Give some wiping with a damp piece of bread, NOT soaking wet. It is probably some left over glue from the fingers of pasting it in an album.
    greg

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's important the glass doesn't touch the photo, so using a mat is a good idea. Also, make sure the mat and backing boards are acid-free, as well as the tape to attach the photo. If you want the most protection, look for materials that say archival.

SeaGoat likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice photo... I have never tried to clean a photograph with white bread and have not heard that as a safe method for cleaning photographs, which are different from paintings and other types of prints. I have heard that white bread is good for paintings. And i know that greg swears by the method. But I would not put anything wet on a photograph in an attempt to clean it. Maybe that would be safe on the board it is glued to.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm not sure whether this is an albumen photographic print or not. If it is, this scientific study shows that aquaeous treatment can increase the cracks on the print's surface, and can decrease the natural glossy surface of the photograph.

http://albumen.conservation-us.org/library/c20/messier1994.html

Your photo may be some other kind of print. But I would still not attempt to clean it with anything wet.

Draft saved Draft deleted