Featured Victorian shoe closet or some other original purpose?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by www.mclarenauction.com, Apr 30, 2020.

1. 128 (1).JPG 128 (1).JPG 128 (2).JPG 128 (4).JPG 128 (5).JPG 128 (9).JPG Not sure if this is just a shoe closet or had some other original purpose?

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hall bench and coat rack?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You didn't include a photograph of the interior. Is it lined with shelves?

Debora

4. komokwa

it's very pleasing to the eye..............:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

ulilwitch, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

ulilwitch, James Conrad, judy and 7 others like this.
  6. komokwa

Please....you can bug them on any forum....... just for fun....or to wake them up !!!
    Mahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Firemandk, ulilwitch, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'm stunned to be saying this, but I've NEVER seen one of these before. Best guess is a coat or shoe closet/vanity/pier mirror combo. Obviously walnut ca. 1875. Very pretty. Probably missing it's crest.

Where are you located? Hard to value because of it's uniqueness, but I'd hazard a guess of around $1K were it located in my neck of the U.S. Midwest. And I do wish it was.....:)

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think it's very beautiful!

What would the crest have looked like, please, Ghopper?

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    As asked above, what does the inside look like?
    The mirror may have been replaced.

Did you end up buying it?

judy, kyratango, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@Ghopper1924 , is this an American piece, or European? I would choose the latter, but it would only be a guess..

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Judging from the depth of that low piece of 'marble' (???) I'm betting when (??) we get to see the inside (HOPEFULLY!!!) there will be slanted 'shelves' for shoes mostly but maybe ties, sox, a man's accoutrements wardrobe??..... have never seen anything like it either, BUT it is ONE GORGEOUS piece of furniture!!!!! LOVE the wood!!!!!!!!! I mean, a guy could put a foot up to tie his shoe (each) and then stand back to see if he was presentable......can totally visualize it!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::smug::smug::smug:

12. Ghopper1924

Need to see the inside of the door (and the inside in general!)

Since this piece is Renaissance Revival, I would guess that the crest/pediment would be triangular in shape. Perhaps it would be a high central keystone with scrolls on each side with acroteria or a split acanthus leaf at each end. The best way to be certain is to get on a stepladder and look for dowel holes on which the crest would have been mounted.

My feeling is that this is American, not only because it's in Oregon (right?), but because the craftsmanship looks to be upper U.S Midwest, like Michigan, Ohio, etc. Actually it could be from any of the better cabinet makers across the country.

I think Aquitaine's idea on how to utilize the piece is quite probable.

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sincerely doubt this is a shoe closet unless interior configuration proves me wrong. Seems more like a pier mirror/coat closet. Would expect to see hooks inside. Agree, American renaissance revival and likely missing a pediment.

15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would guess this is a marriage, the top & bottom seem associated to me.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, it looks American to my European eyes.:pompous: Very nice piece.

17. Ghopper1924

I visited their auction site. Some nice items coming up, including a beautiful etagere. Unfortunately, there is no further enlightenment to be had regarding this pier mirror/closet, as Cluttered noted, and we've had no further comment from the O.P.

Too bad...I might be tempted to bid on this one-of-a-kind item, but not until I see some response to our questions, i.e. are there dowel holes in the top and let's see some photos of the inside, how'z about it? :)

18. komokwa

I'm impressed at how they knew to block out the mirror reflection..

ulilwitch likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So that wasn't a ghostly presence captured on camera?:wideyed:

20. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I am betting it was originally like this but somewhere along the way, it lost its base & got "married".
    From the Harp Gallery
    https://www.harpgallery.com/shop/item26585.html

Victorian 1870 Antique Walnut Armoire, Wardrobe or Closet, Mirror Door

vic.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted