Featured Victorian Silver plate Toothpick Holder - Who is this Girl?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ola402, Feb 22, 2020.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have a cute little toothpick holder from the late 1800s. I was wondering if the little girl holding the rope to the bag is a depiction of someone I should know (but don't know) from literature of illustration? I can't figure out the meaning of the bag with the rope. I've been trying to research it, but have only found one example and it was an on line auction where you have to sign up to find out the sale price.

She measures 2" high (bag part) and 4" wide. I know that people back then didn't have modern dentistry but this seems like it would hold a lot of toothpicks. My mom hated toothpicking at the table, so she never had any. The floss was in the bathroom instead. So I have no frame of reference.

And the final question, to polish or not to polish? TIA! DSCF5748.jpg DSCF5751.jpg DSCF5754.jpg

KSW, kyratango, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

70A76B88-5320-4A7F-9341-AFCBF4090C91.jpeg So cute. There was a boy too, #43.

3. i need help

KSW likes this.
  4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you! That's helpful and interesting. Seems like they might have done a line of items showing similar children.

KSW and i need help like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

As soon as I searched "Meriden B" instead of the company imprinted on the bottom, I found this toothpick listed at $275, but no special reference to the figure, just girl with braids.

KSW and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

7. i need help

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That's what led me to ask here. I had a napkin ring once that I was selling and someone alerted me to the fact that it featured a Kate Greenaway figure. At the time, I had never heard of her. But I don't think that boy figure is Kate Greenaway. The hat is similar to her characters, but for this boy I think that's just a hat. I searched Kate Greenaway and really couldn't find any specific character of hers, but then I'm really not familiar.

i need help likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

My TP is marked Rogers Smith (Not Meriden B) and I found the mark at the 925 site. https://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_R2.html I only used the Meriden B search term because that seller that you linked me to in Australia used it.

i need help likes this.
  10. i need help

Buyers should never accept "Meriden Kate Greenaway figural napkin ring" for example, as a guarantee of authenticity. The factory name "Meriden" or style "Kate Greenaway" do not address when the piece was made. Unethical sellers can point to a new Meriden mark and claim that is all that is stated on the receipt. Protect yourself by insisting the age of the piece or date of its production is written on the receipt. It is always better to write dates such as "ca. 1900" or, "1910-1920" rather than more general references such as styles or time periods, such as "Art Deco" or "Victorian".
    https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Napkin-Rings-with-Faked-Marks

This is regarding napkin rings, but might apply.
    So it seems best not to make reference to Kate Greenaway, just Victorian Girl.

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

So I'm assuming I should polish it?

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you should!

Draft saved Draft deleted