Victorian Table Mystery - Antique or Reproduction?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by stolenchyld, Aug 13, 2019.

1. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Hi All, and thank you for your ongoing help!

I have a table that was sold to me as a refinished Eastlake table. It wasn't like anything Eastlake I've ever seen (or have), plus I'm not too familiar with most antique styles, so I assumed it was more recent and not actually an antique. Then I found a furniture company online (Tradewinds) and went, "oh, there's the table!", but I noticed that although the table is the same style, some of the carved details are quite different. The company sells their Victorian-style tables as "inspired by an antique", so I wondered if I do really have an "original" or just a refinished replica (since this company - at least currently - sells their "Victorian" tables in painted colors, not wood tone). My table has similar dimensions to this table's stated dimensions within an inch. I'm still assuming it's not an antique, but the details and the fact that is is initialed made me question it. I see no nails or screws at all. The first photo is the Tradewinds Co. table, the rest are of mine. I just realized I didn't take a photo of the entire table, so I'll add one from the store.

Thank you for any insight! The table is sturdy, heavy for being smaller, and was inexpensive, so I don't care either way, but I AM curious, especially since I found another replica table from this company and then found the "originals" (which I'll post next. tradewinds mine.jpg whole.jpg bottom detail2.gif bottom detail.gif SP.gif top.gif under2.gif under1.gif tradewinds mine.jpg whole.jpg bottom detail2.gif bottom detail.gif SP.gif top.gif under2.gif under1.gif

moreotherstuff and Michael77 like this.
  2. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Other tables I found. First image is the Tradewinds Furniture Co. Victorian-inspired table (new), others were listed as Victorian antique tables (although by ETBTH, which I know isn't always or even often trustworthy in their age estimates. tradewinds not mine.jpg etbth.jpeg etbth3.jpg etbth2.jpg

3. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but I would say a very nice reproduction, see what others say, either way its nice.

Fid, i need help and stolenchyld like this.
  4. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Thanks! I thought, for $30, I would be happy either way.

i need help and Michael77 like this.
  5. Michael77

30 bucks not bad!

i need help and stolenchyld like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch that's legit. It looks like solid walnut, and nobody stamps initials into a piece like that any more. The white plastic could be a recent addition - someone pulled the casters off. A modern piece would probably be veneer and it wouldn't be walnut.

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

On the table you purchased, reproduction because there appears to be not a mark or ding on feet near the floor and, there should be. Also the table is missing the signature feature on most Eastlake period furniture, sharp "incised lines" and, there should be. On 3rd pic down on your table you see an attempted "incised lines" on leg, that rectangle shape but, it's poorly executed.
    Guesses your table an Asian import. Wait for others to post, victorian isn't my strong point.

bottom detail.gif

8. James Conrad

lol, It looks like asian "ribbon" mahogany from over here on top, something else for legs but don't think walnut.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. Michael77

The under side and legs don't appear to be walnut to me, grain is to open from my experience with woodworking. Walnut machines like a dream, its one of the nicer woods to work with. The table top does have a walnut appearance but to difficult to tell from pics. The top could be a walnut veneer?

10. James Conrad

A quick google brought this up, period eastlake table, notice the sharp linear incised lines that is a design feature and is almost always present on eastlake furniture.

ezgif-1-0fc01cda9317.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    i need help, komokwa and Michael77 like this.
  11. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

I have an Eastlake parlor table and mirror and I know what you mean. When I was told it was Eastlake, it definitely didn't feel right. In the things I have, I noticed the lines, although not always perfectly matching, are much neater than those on this table.

12. Andrew Prevost

Andrew Prevost New Member

13. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

YES! Thank you for this. I see a couple areas on top where there might be finishing nails, very well filled in and almost invisible. I feel a little sorry for the guy who sold it to me now. He said he bought it for a mint at an estate sale, and he said he was told it was an old piece that was refinished. The initials are probably even fake. Whoops! The "mahogany" with the gold ribboning is quite pretty in real life, though.

14. Andrew Prevost

Andrew Prevost New Member

I ended up with a pair of "antique" mahogany candlestick stands back in 2002 (in a local auction) when I was just starting to collect that I later realized were Indonesian repro. They were the first things that came to mind when I saw your photos - style of carving, wood, everything. Happy to help!

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late to the party but can confirm this is an Indonesian reproduction in so-called plantation mahogany. Style is more renaissance revival than Eastlake.

16. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

On the bright side,you have a very pretty and useful sized table that is far better made than 90% of the garbage being made today.Win/win. :)

17. James Conrad

Agrees and, you paid $30 for it? At 30 bucks how can you go wrong?

Jivvy, stolenchyld and Michael77 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted