Featured Victorian? Tassel pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 1, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This caught my eye on our local auctioneers online only auction. Usual poor photos from what's meant to be a decent auctioneers :rolleyes:. This is more idle curiosity than anything else but I thought it looked unusual.It's just described as a Victorian yellow metal necklace. What do you think?
    It's with all the other bits shown and there a a few more photos but pretty poor.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg

2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Could be, Google shows a lot of Victorian pave' turquoise jewelry . I also just commissioned an estate with a lot of vintage Persian turquoise pave'. They were all high gold content.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow! That pendant is sooo nice!
    Is that a whole lot?:woot: I'd jump on it even if I strongly suspect the "Edwardian" opal pendant is a repro with synthetic stones on silver:cyclops:
    The earrings and turquoises pendants are yummy!!!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I was drawn to it thinking it was quite special but not really knowing why.
    It is one lot and guide price is £100-£150. Is that fair?. Am I on dangerous ground bidding on what I can't inspect and don't know enough about?. I normally buy cheap and cheerful so it doesn't hurt too much if I booboo.
    Think I've just answered my own question there:hilarious:.
    Photos are so poor it's difficult to know what it all is but there is something about the blue pendant that's luring me!.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. It mght be decent costume, I've seen 60s stuff like that and own some. The rest is 1930s Czech, other than the repro Edwardian. I'd not go over forty quid, tbh.

KSW likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, it is a very nice lot, even though there could be repro in there, or possibly all repro.
    Maybe this will help, I tweaked the photo a bit:

upload_2020-6-2_14-21-4.jpeg

The earrings just above the (faux?) opal pendant look interesting too. There seems to be a colour difference in the pink stones. They could be backed with a pink foil, and the side view of the lower one doesn't pick up on the colour?
    Yes.;)
    Well, there you go!:joyful:
    I have taken my chances, still do, sometimes it is iffy, but most of the time I win. If I don't know from a bad photo if it is real or repro, I bid an amount that is reasonable for costume.

PortableTreasures, kyratango and KSW like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Etruscan Revival refers to the fine filigree and cannetille decoration, not the pavé set stones.:)

[​IMG]

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The rest of the photos. You can see why I didn't share them earlier!.
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

i need help likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    Corona-free photos!:joyful:

Why do people insist on unnecessary hands in photos anyway?:rolleyes:
    Dirty fingernails, ugly fingers, chipped nailpolish, fingers hiding essential parts of the jewellery, ugly gloves, gaudy mittens, or all of the above.:eek::yuck: Someone has to stop this!:banghead::inpain::nurse:

i need help and kyratango like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

And breathe......
    I take it that from the lack of comment regarding the actual jewellery that the photos don’t add any information :hilarious:

13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

The pink stones earrings are very Georgian, not sure if they are pinchbeck or gold heavily oxidized... They appealed me a lot!
    That price announced seems high for a gamble:nailbiting::wideyed:

i need help, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, to me too. It's got 22 watchers so doubt it's going for a song. There is a box of random jewellery much more in my price range so I may take a punt on that as looks to have some nice earrings etc.

i need help likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    They are my favourites of the lot really, and look the most promising. But the guide price would be too high for me, when most of it is possibly costume.

i need help and kyratango like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm not going to bid unless they get desperate and stoop to my level!.
    These auctioneers seem to put high guide prices on and often get them. Not that they deserve it with shocking photos. It goes tomorrow so I'll report back.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is I've obviously got good taste!. Anyone care to guess how much this lot went for?

18. Any Jewelry

250?:wacky:

KSW likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

More than you were willing to pay. ;)

kyratango and KSW like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

And much more than I would be willing to pay.

kyratango and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted