Featured Victorian Writing Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Bite me. I bought another one. It was going cheap.

30440991_2078387412419734_8233246938275774464_n.jpg 30414697_2078387365753072_6349587166875615232_n.jpg 30414968_2078387415753067_7068123229717528576_n.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Ooh, I love these & this one seems out of the ordinary & in such good condition - great grab. :happy:

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very nice box, Shangas!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's horribly old, but it's quality.

5. Bronwen

The construction looks top notch. You could imagine Hermes or another snooty firm making such a thing. It doesn't look old when it comes to wear & tear, discoloration of leather, etc., but does have the 2 square compartments for an ink bottle & shaker of that sandy blotting stuff they used to to use, so set up is for someone using a dip pen. How old is 'horribly old'?

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Oooohhh. Love it.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

20th century; I think I'm seeing hex screws on the latch, and the metal doesn't appear to have any age on it.

8. Bronwen

Agree it's probably 20th century, but the hex screws securing the lock look like replacements to me. The ones holding the hinge look original.

9. Shangas

Early 20th century at most. 1910 at the latest. By this time, fountain pens were taking over, and they were becoming SERIOUSLY outdated.

And the squares are for inkwells. Pounce pots died out decades, centuries ago.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. Bronwen

Looks to me like it has a fair degree of oxidation/patina.

upload_2018-4-9_18-58-17.png

The Wiki article does not quite seem to have the seal of approval but does say:

In the 19th century the pounce pots or sanders often had a shallow dish round the top so that pounce or sand could be returned to the pot and reused. The process is very effective for quickly drying ink, and although blotting paper has been available since Tudor times, pounce or sand continued to be used throughout the nineteenth century because it was often cheaper.

With the handle in the lid, looks like it was meant for traveling, maybe part of a luggage set. I can see needing to have more need to get ink dry quickly under those circumstances than when at a desk. I used to assume both compartments were for ink bottles because the one I have has one screw top bottle remaining, but pretty sure I have seen another that was more intact & second bottle was a little shaker.

11. Shangas

You couldn't have an open pounce pot on a travelling case like this. One jolt would send the pounce all over the place. Besides, this thing already has an inbulit blotter, so it doesn't need pounce.

12. Bronwen

The one I have seen was like a salt shaker, not wide open, & may have had a cover for the head when everything was closed up. You weren't checking it with an airline. I'm sure your man servant was careful not to turn it over. Obviously the second space could just as well accommodate a second bottle of ink, just saying there's another possibility.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love it, Shangas, I would have bought it.
    Btw, I still learned to write with a dip pen, but then I am ancient, of course. I got my first fountain pen when I was 8.

Have you mastered the 75 professional card tricks yet?:D

14. Shangas

My fingers are killing me, but after a whole day of filing, I have finally cut a replacement key for the lock. Works perfectly! :)

15. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

No later than 1910 1890-1910, in wonderful condition, these do well on ebay.

Christmasjoy, Shangas and Bronwen like this.
  16. Shangas

Tol'ja so :p 1910 at the latest.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

It’s edwardian for sure c.1910 maybe 1920 at the latest.

Writing boxes are always irresistible, they’re usually cheap where I am too. Yours is beautiful and 8n brilliant condition! Amazing! :happy:

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Shangas

I seriously doubt 1920. By then these things would've been VERY outdated. Edwardian period would be their last gasp.

19. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

It’s the last cry of the dip pen world. R.I.P 1910

Yeh I reckon your right there, 1910 is probably a better cut off :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted