Featured Vienna Austria Ceramic Pitcher? Age/Maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jan 26, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This large, hand-painted, ceramic pitcher was sold as an antique. Since I could find the mark, I don't know if that is true. I don't know if it is pottery or porcelain. If it is porcelain, then it is thick porcelain, but it doesn't seem like pottery. I haven't handled enough ceramic pieces to tell the difference. The painting is not detailed, but you can see the brush strokes. It has a gold rim.

There are a Vienna Austria mark and incised stamps TR 992 and 12 46(?) on the bottom. I couldn't find the maker. What attracted me was the shape of the handle and the vivid colors. The piece is 5 1/2 inches tall and over 8 inches from the handle to the spout. Any ideas? All comments will be gratefully appreciated.

IMG_3560 (1).jpg IMG_3561.jpg IMG_3562.jpg IMG_3563.JPG IMG_3570.jpg IMG_3564.JPG IMG_3566.JPG IMG_3567.JPG IMG_3568.JPG

Figtree3, judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I suspect it's hobbyist painted. The mark is very similar to the mark used by P. H. Leonard for imported whiteware. Mark dates to 1890-1908. The history of this firm is a bit tangled (at least to me) but most likely this pitcher originated in Bohemia despite the Vienna Austria mark. Source is Bohemian Decorated Porcelain by Dr. James D. Henderson.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. Thanks so much! Whiteware - I don't remember hearing about that before. So not pottery nor porcelain. Bohemian disguised as Viennese. I love the reference. Your are sensational. :):):):):)

NewEngland and judy like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Whiteware is just undecorated porcelain (probably porcelain) sold to hobbyists or other factories to be decorated.

5. KikoBlueEyes

Oh. Thanks for the explanation. I did a quick search on the internet and it said something different.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted