Viet Nam era ribbon bars - can anyone "read" these?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by evelyb30, Mar 24, 2019.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The ribbon still in its box is the Viet Nam ribbon, and I'm fairly sure of some of the others but not all. These cropped up in a junk lot. I have to resize some of the individual photos. The patent date on the ribbon bar holder indicates it was applied for in 1963 and granted in 1965 , so odds are all of the ribbons are from the Viet Nam era.

I'm pretty sure there's a Viet Nam combat ribbon, a Soldier's Medal and a Distinguished Flying Cross. These seem to have escaped into the wild without identification, and I figured if I knew what it would be easier to figure out who. My best guess is he was a chopper pilot. DSCF1246.JPG

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. evelyb30

You wouldn't think. It might have been a Halloween costume thing too, who knows.

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you think stolen valor,there are thousands of people claiming to be Vietnam veterans .Thought of another possibility though it doesn't explain the 2 I mentioned.The National Guard has hundreds of ribbons the military doesn't,link to 40 pages worth.... https://www.usamilitarymedals.com/collections/ribbons/national-guard

axelrich likes this.
  5. evelyb30

The one dead center on the bottom is Washington National Guard. So is the lower right - and that one's an air medal too. That leaves the Marine Corps badge as an outlier; the other five fit together as someone from a Guard unit who was sent, or volunteered, for overseas duty.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Some of our friends went from the Navy or Army to the National Guard so they could get their time in to hit 20 years. There are some joint ribbons that my husband got as part of a joint unit. I don't know the rules regarding Guard uniforms, but there's probably a website that would help. I know there's a site that tells young sailors where and how to wear their ribbons. At my niece's wedding, her new husband wore his crackerjack uniform and my husband going through the reception line couldn't resist whispering "You have your bars on upside down." loudly enough for everyone to hear. The poor guy turned beet red.

kyratango likes this.
  7. evelyb30

(LOL) I have a former Air Force cousin who might know these. Apparently they're out of order, and whoever had them never wore the Nam ribbon. Go figure.

8. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

Quite a useful site you have mentioned here, thanks.

9. evelyb30

I heard from my cousin, who says it isn't impossible for all of the ribbons to have belonged to the same guy. Lots of people apparently got drafted or enlisted in one service, got out and then reinlisted in another one. It would be a natural for someone coming out of flying stuff to land in an air unit of the National Guard.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted