Vietnamese? tiger paintings on silk, sig Thanh?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I picked these up today. I found the one with black silk first and while walking around, a guy that I usually buy from at flea market, found the orange one and gave it to me. The sig looks like Thanh? Looks probably from the 70s.

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Well THAT was nice: BUY ONE GET ONE FREE! I think these are lovely and the frames match, in fact if they are wooden - I like the frames very much too. About what sizes are they?

They surely could be Vietnamese and from the 1960s-1970s era. Done on paper? Or lightweight fabric? (I cannot see the detail well enough.)

Armando, please always state the size of the artwork when you post and specify with or without frame. A photo of the back is always helpful too.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if someone brought those home as a souvenir. I like them.

antidiem likes this.
  4. Armando0831

The paintings are done on silk. The frames are wood. The back of these have a stamp where they were framed at and nothing else.

The orange silk is 11x15 1/4 inches w/o frame. It's 13x17 1/4 w/ frame.

The black silk is 12 3/4x18 w/ frame and 11x16 w/o frame.

antidiem likes this.
  5. Armando0831

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the detail shots and the sizes.

It looks like the "golden brown sienna" base color of both of these is a block print (or silkscreened) base with more colors handpainted on top. I cannot tell how much of the rest is hand painted on top (could be all the rest of the colors), but this print base, along with the size surely puts it in the realm of souvenir. Vietnam is a very likely possibility. Please let us know what your g-search turns up.

Armando, I should mention that I deduced it is a print base from the ear of the one on black and from the teeth on the red silk one. Also from the way the fabric was stretched straight in the center to make the print with clarity - see how the cloth "folds around" the back of the tiger on the red silk? --That is what I mean by "stretched" base coat.

7. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

Excellent decor for an Asian massage parlour.

Draft saved Draft deleted