Featured Vintage 1920s Tourist Guide book Havana Cuba

Discussion in 'Books' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

IMG_3570 (800x600).jpg IMG_3571 (800x600).jpg IMG_3572 (800x600).jpg IMG_3573 (800x600).jpg IMG_3574 (800x600).jpg IMG_3575 (800x600).jpg IMG_3576 (800x600).jpg IMG_3577 (800x600).jpg IMG_3578 (800x600).jpg IMG_3579 (800x600).jpg Thought you might be interested in seeing this. It belonged to my great-uncle. I don't know if anyone in the family visited Cuba, but they used to send for maps and booklets back in the day.

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love ! My mother is from Cuba ! Somewhere Ive got some pics my grandpa took in the 40s.

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I don't think the revolution did it a whole lot of good. Be interesting to see what happens now. Celebrities are already visiting. I'd go if I could. It's about time. I know it's controversial -some people think we're rewarding the government. But, it can only help the regular citizens to be able to interact and reconnect with family here.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had a great uncle who was in the Merchant Marines. He bought back so many post cards and booklets like yours. Some of them I could not sell on ebay due to the embargo. We had friend who was born in Cuba and was a waiter when an American couple was visiting their daughter fell in love and they married. This was in the 1950s. I gave all my Cuba stuff to Bert who became a big wig with the Brooklyn Union Gas company. Unfortunately Bert died last year. His stories about Havana always made me want to visit.
    greg

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Lovely book, Bev! :bookworm:

7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Cuba was a popular tourist destination for Americans in the 1920s. 'Cause of a little inconvenience called Prohibition...

yourturntoloveit and Messilane like this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I have that record. My mother had a hand crank Victrola with all the old records. I no longer have the Victrola, but I do have boxes of old records.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted