Featured Vintage 19th century print - The Elopement?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

2015-03-30 19.23.56 (800x600).jpg This hung in my great-aunt's house and I always called it "The Elopement." I was the only one who wanted it when it came time to clean out the house. The father arrives on horseback. The younger brother with him has big eyes - shock at what's happened. The daughter looking contrite, but her husband defiant. And the minister in the background on the left holding up his hand as if to say, "Calm down everyone." I always believed the ceremony had taken place, although my friend says it hasn't happened, yet. I've tried searching for the artist - I'm thinking late 19th century - to no avail.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not that I can help much, but what does the young man have in his right hand? I can't tell and wonder if it might have a bearing on your thought that the wedding had already taken place.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm pretty sure it's a pair of gloves and a riding crop.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nope....leaving that alone... ;)

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Awwwww.....that's too bad !!!!

50 Shades of King....or Kink !!!
    Heehehe !!!!!

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

And the "husband?" and the man who's just dismounted from his horse have their left hands already free of items and balled into fists. :eek:

Well, I think you can scratch the idea of ever finding a subsequent print showing everyone dancing a happy jig at the wedding reception held in the village tavern.;)

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Looks like Daddy is going to disown her and leave her to a life of genteel poverty with her true love.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Oooor beat the "tar out" of her or his new SIL with that riding crop he has in his hand.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Bev: I love these things! They are great fun to discuss over dessert at a dinner party -- and have everyone give the item his own interpretation.

And I think the service has taken place. Reason being that the minister is at the doorway. Were it prior to the service, he would have been inside the church.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

What's he so mad for? Weddings are expensive as were "seasons"; this dude just saved the old man a pile.(LOL)

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

She was probably promised to some neighbor's snotty son so they could gain more prestige. I love these old prints that have stories.

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I snagged this one from Aunt Willa's house as well. (Image stolen from the web because mine is upstairs hanging in the hallway and I'm too lazy to go photograph it.) $T2eC16NHJIYFHNr7trBOBS(MKz1htQ~~60_57.jpg This one I know is by Sadler and is called "For Fifty Years - Old But Gallant." Growing up in tar paper shacks in the woods of NH, this was my dream house. I've pretty much got it covered. Don't have the footman waiting by the table, though, darn it.

14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Bev: I remember that one! I always thought that the gentleman was so slender and elegant and charming!

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Well, he's certainly not my husband, but I'm not complaining (too much)

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Ladybranch

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    yourturntoloveit and gregsglass like this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bev,
    I would love a job as a footman really as a butler but can serve dinner when you are ready give me a call.:rolleyes:
    greg

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

19. Ladybranch

I had no luck just googling either. I used the reverse image search and added: print "elopement." Up came a page of possibilities. About the 4th row was that colored one on Etsy.

--- Susan

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I have got to try that image search.

Draft saved Draft deleted