Featured ***Vintage Alpacca Rosary with Puffed Sacred Heart ?? ❤️Maven

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vintage Maven, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

This was a thrift store purchase I made a little while ago, I’m just getting it posted for input now, I got it for a very cheap price. This is a vintage rosary, I’m not sure I can define a date (maybe possibly 1940’s -1950’s vintage, but I base that by the cross, because further into the 40’s & 50’s there was still a deco influence present, but I am merely speculating), it is stamped on the reverse of the crucifix “Made in Germany Alpacca”, the rosary also features a puffed sacred heart (I think it may be of French Catholic origin). ❤️Maven

*I hope my photos of it are definable, I put them together a bit hastily.

323436F6-83A0-4D7A-9967-BE75CAAEC086.jpeg CD3E6E45-17C1-42F9-8FD6-185694A1C163.jpeg 0577EB9C-1243-4A37-80F2-C4E9E2E6D06A.jpeg 76D9E252-F294-4039-93A5-B096C628B15B.jpeg 5424F09D-C9D1-4A4F-B79E-6C6CBBE9FC51.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    kyratango, Decka, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My guess would be later rather than earlier, maybe well into the 60s.

3. Vintage Maven

Thank You @evelyb30 That thought crossed my mind as well. I’m going to try some research later after finishing some studies up. ❤️Maven

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Vintage Maven likes this.
  5. Vintage Maven

Not too sure if I can substantiate that sellers add, or claim. The case certainly looks an older vintage to the rosary, just basing on chain link design. But, in this world, anything is probable. ❤️Maven

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

You have to take descriptions on Ebay with a grain of salt for sure.

Does the "Made in Germany" (as opposed to "West Germany" etc) date it to either before 1946 or after 1990? Maybe exceptions to those markings but wonder if that is a clue as to the possible date.

7. Vintage Maven

@Lucille.b Thank You for that idea, that’s wonderful. I will certainly add that to my ideas on going about researching my rosary, again, many thank-you’s. ❤️Maven

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Generally, but not necessarily. US Zone Germany pinpoints things. So does GDR - Germany Democratic Republic. Just plain Germany may not always.

Lucille.b and Vintage Maven like this.
  9. Vintage Maven

I had just decided to take a quick look around, I will do a more in-depth search later this eve. All I found so far was one with the exact crucifix/cross, the puffed sacred heart with M (Maria) monogram, and IHS (Iesus Hominum Salvator), it is also Alpacca, and same construction. This one states early 1900’s. I don’t believe mine is of that vintage, but I won’t totally rule that out, I have many concerns yet about that. More research ahead for me. ❤️Maven

10. Vintage Maven

I did some research while eating my supper. This is what a I’ve found thus far. Apparently this particular rosary design was in practice/manufactured from 1906 to 1953. Here is a series of photos from another rosary I found, unfortunately there was not an exact year produced with it. It’s condition is very much better than mine (it could also be restored/preserved better). There appears to be a pretty good match as far as rosary’s are concerned, but the year has not come to fruition thus far, just 1906 to 1953. (The other rosary is on top, mine on bottom) I’m sort of thinking 1940’s/early 1950’s. ❤️Maven

EFADB9D1-CCFD-4AC0-B96E-A42F6E11412A.jpeg D1D21CB6-4905-495B-B8CE-9C2E25A94E4A.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  11. Vintage Maven

Another find in my quest to figure out the year of origin of my rosary. This description is of one of origin in France. It’s features are exact to my German made rosary, but the description is yet vague as pertinent to exact era, “from the 1900’s”. At least I’m certain of it’s design, and it most certainly seems French Catholic in use. This has certainly been an interesting journey in research so far. ❤️Maven

06C3230A-FA16-46EE-9B80-BA67F2689ADE.jpeg

12. Decka

Decka Active Member

Nice rosary Maven!
    I have one somewhere in a case that I will have to dig out and post for you to see. It’s not nice and clean like yours, my one is very rusty.

13. Vintage Maven

@Decka Of course, I would love to see your rosary when you get an opportunity to post it. Thank You. ❤️Maven

14. Decka

Decka Active Member

15. Vintage Maven

@Decka I think it’s fabulous.Do you know what era it is from, wow! ❤️Maven

16. Vintage Maven

I uncovered another listing for the rosary. This one gives a description of the year 1900 for the rosary, and a religious miniature figurine (I have not added it to this set of photos). The rosary dated, and photographed here certainly looks like an exact match to mine, it seems probable. **I certainly welcome, and value other advice on this for certain**. ❤️Maven

A23E8284-2766-48D1-996B-CA93A99257AC.jpeg

17. Decka

Decka Active Member

Sorry Maven Im not sure but if I had to guess I would say early 1900’s? The rear of the rosary case is marked France but is the case original to the rosary? 72387F3D-34C9-4CE7-8090-11D91887EBD8.jpeg

18. Vintage Maven

@Decka Judging by your photos, both metals on the case, and rosary appear to match the same vintage/antiquity, if I may say. ❤️Maven

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  19. Decka

Decka Active Member

Yes very possible. Other than lightly oiling the rosary I haven’t tried cleaning it or the rosary. But I have to say I love the detail on your rosary, the crucifix especially.

20. Vintage Maven

That’s very nice of you to say, I’m humbled. Did you see my habit rosary with the skull and crossbones crucifix on here, I absolutely love that one. (It is also in Antique Discussion). ❤️Maven

Draft saved Draft deleted