Vintage Angel Christmas ornament

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by bercrystal, Mar 27, 2020.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This was c.1960's most likely made in Japan ornament. She has a painted celluloid/plastic face & her wings are like heavy silver tinsel. They hold their shape, but are still flexible. She is small measuring 2 1/2" top to bottom & 3" across. I am sue other colors of netting were used, but this is the only one still around.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I know there had to be tons of them made, but I have looked for years through every box, pile, table lot of Christmas decorations & have also searched eBay but have never had any luck. Hopefully someone out there will happen upon some at some point.

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

3. bercrystal

4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

5. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

She looks like a kewpie doll. Just another way to try looking it up.

Bronwen and PortableTreasures like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

The eyes give off a Napco or Lefton vibe to me.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Would guess 40s/50s for a date. Agree I haven't seen one quite like this, so also wonder if it could be homemade? The wings seem a little less homemade looking, but hard to say.

If not homemade, thinking probably Japan. They made some great (now collectible) Christmas decorations in the 50s.

Bronwen, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. My Grandmother made angel ornaments similar to this one. She would just buy the head and make the rest. I think it's homemade.

Bronwen, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

It could be a homemade marriage of items .so cute!

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I collect and sell vintage Christmas ornaments and decorations. Although I've never seen this particular ornament, I'm sure she's not homemade.
    bercrystal - I can see why you love her and want to find friends and family for her. I wish I could found some like this - soooooo adorable!!!!!

Bronwen, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is from the 1950s-1960s -- my first (and still) thought is that it is a "Lucille Ball" ornament.

I know, I know, now everyone will think I am as scatter-brained as "Lucy"! :rolleyes:

Bronwen, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're not alone. I thought it looked like Lucille Ball too!

Debora

13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Debora, thank you, thank you, thank you.;)

Bronwen and Debora like this.
  14. bercrystal

Definitely not homemade. We did have others, but unfortunately she is the only one I got. I have no earthly idea what happened to the rest of them along with the mercury glass bird clips & all the other vintage stuff. My sister supposedly got all of the Christmas stuff, but when she asked me if I wanted it a year or so before she died I told her the only things I wanted was the older stuff that we used when we were kids. That is when she told me she never got any of that stuff. :(:(:(

My Mother was an superb seamstress & could sew up all kinds of stuff using just a Singer Featherweight, but as far as making something like this, not likely. :p:p

My guess is it came with maybe 5 other pieces in different color netting, made in Japan & were purchased at Tiedtke's department store in Toledo, Ohio.

This one does look a little like Lucy. I think it is the hair color. I wonder if the others had different color hair. :happy::happy::happy:

15. pearlsnblume

I thought that too about Lucy, but I discounted my thinking as I am way too stressed.

Bronwen and yourturntoloveit like this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Are you on Facebook? There's a page called The Golden Glow of Christmas Past. Those people are rabid collectors and experts. They have a convention every year. This may be something they can help with. I'll post over there and see what I can find out.

DizzyDaff, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  17. bercrystal

@Bev aka thelmasstuff - I am not on FB, but please do let me know what you find out. :happy::happy:

Thank you so much!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

18. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I have a mess of them - not exactly the same; but very similar. Most of mine have a round painted head, pipe cleaner arms, a fan of tulle with glitter around the bottom for a skirt, and pressed foil wings. I think their hair is also painted. Can't remember for sure...they are packed away for next year; too hard to get at to check. Sorry. They were late 1950 - early 1960. I'm sure that they were gift package decorations from my Grandmother.

Leslie

19. bercrystal

@Northern Lights Lodge - They sound adorable!! I will look forward to seeing them on your tree this Christmas. :happy::happy::happy:

I have her hung up on my bulletin board that is right next to me in my office, so I will get to look at her every day until Christmas. :D:D:D

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

So far nothing from the Christmas people.

Draft saved Draft deleted