Vintage/Antique EAPG Stained Glass Decanter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barn Owl, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist buying this decanter. I'm trying to figure out how old it is. There is some wear to the red areas. The decanter plug is hollow. Any ideas? 20171023_170538.jpg 20171023_170451.jpg 20171023_170502.jpg 20171023_170520.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Barn Owl

20171023_170552.jpg This is what the bottom looks like

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That looks like flashed glass, not cut to clear, to me.

kyratango, Barn Owl, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with Book.
    Pressed glass not cut. Color is stained or flashed, I still get confused on this after all these years.

Adding:
    Not Bohemian glass.
    It's an EAPG pattern.

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It is a stain. Todays workers hit with a gas torch say they are flashing the glass because the heat is not left long. I suspect that is part of the source of the stain flah confusion.

judy, Ghopper1924, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  6. Barn Owl

That's disappointing. I was really hoping that it was Bohemian cut crystal. How does one tell the difference? If it's EAPG, how old is it?

7. clutteredcloset49

EAPG = Early American Pressed Glass

Time period is roughly 1880s - 1910ish.

European cut glass is made with lead. When the light hits the cuts it refracts, showing rainbow like color.

judy, Ghopper1924 and Barn Owl like this.
  8. Barn Owl

Would you say $10 was still a decent pprice to pay?

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

If you like it then it was! :)

Barn Owl and judy like this.
  10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Imperial Glass #612 Star and File c1904
    this piece is ruby stained; the ruby color is painted on and then fired to 'set' color and make it more durable.
    generally the EPAG era is c1850 to 1915-20-ish... with some patterns being reissued and even reproduced thru today... the EAPG era generally follows and parallels the Victorian era; starting after and ending after...

flashed glass involves a layer of colored glass (in this case ruby) that is added to the clear class. The red layer is then cut to reveal the clear (cut to clear), thus the resulting pattern has sharp distinct lines. Flashed is very durable depending on the thickness of the colored layer. Whereas, stained is a very thin layer painted on and more susceptible to scratches with the quality of the stain fairly variable.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  11. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

thanx for the explanation tallcakes!
    i have a hofbauer brydes decanter with a ruby patch. so now i know more about it :happy:

lead crystal decanter FB to mudah.png

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

What tall cakes said about the EAPG is good info

Depends on if you are keeping or selling.
    There used to be more people who collected the EAPG stained glass. Not as many currently.

In my retail shop (Nothern CA) I would probably price around $30-35 and take any reasonable offer. It would probably sit for awhile.
    Selling on ebay maybe not so high as they have to pay shipping. Etsy might be higher.

Draft saved Draft deleted