Vintage/Antique Pottery signed What Look like "Tayler or "tayer"

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, May 25, 2020.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Another storage find.A beautiful 8" pottery vase,signed jun bottom what look like,Tayler or "Tayer". SAM_0112.JPG SAM_0114.JPG SAM_0115.JPG SAM_0116.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think the first letter could be an F and the second an r.

Fryer?

judy, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. antiquelover69

Thanks I'll try Frayer

judy, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it looks like Fryer and probably a studio artist I'd guess.

I found another that seems to be signed in a similar way though not too much the same otherwise. They offer some rather thin information on it's maker. I don't know that I believe it was Sedona Indians but I could believe it was a Sedona artist as it's such an artsy area.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/handcrafted-signed-sedona-art-pottery-461423299

upload_2020-5-25_6-56-36.png

kentworld, Bakersgma, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  5. antiquelover69

Thanks so much! I'll look up Sedona pottery!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  6. antiquelover69

Thanks so much! I'll look up Sedona pottery!

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Like so many items on Worthpoint, this was identified incorrectly by the seller. For one thing, there are no "Sedona Indians." For another, no Native American tribe glazed their pottery. So I would agree, no Indian connection.

But I fail to see any connection with Sedona, either. The original seller didn't say it was purchased in Sedona. It evidently came from "an antique shop," where it was misidentified as "Sedona Indian." The actual source could have been anywhere.

I agree it is a studio potter's work, but identifying anything else about the potter is probably going to be difficult. Although studio pottery made by relatively unknown potters does tend to often be found fairly close to where the potter lived.

Bronwen and antiquelover69 like this.
  8. antiquelover69

Thanks,I haven't found anything about name yet,still searching

Draft saved Draft deleted