Vintage/Antique Secretary Desk (Ebert/Red Lion Furniture circa 1930's or 1940's)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Terrence Evans, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Terrence Evans

Terrence Evans New Member

Hi all -
    I am new to the forum and looking for input on a Secretary Desk.

It was made by Eberts (subsequently Red Lion Furniture) in either the 1930's or 1940s.

I am looking to sell the piece and am wondering the best way to find a buyer (auction, consign, website posting, etc).

Also, i really have no idea what a fair price is for me to list the piece for sale. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on its value.

I had the Secretary refinished about 15 or so years ago. It is in very good shape.

There is a sticker on the back of the piece that indicates the furniture maker.

Thank you for your help.

Terry
    IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0331.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome Terry.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Sorry to disappoint you. I see pieces similar to yours under a hundred dollars around here.:oops::oops::oops::oops:
    greg

4. Terrence Evans

Thanks Greg. Disappointing, but at least that gives me a starting point.

My main goal is to find it a new home more so than maximizing profit (i didn't pay anything for it since its been in the family and the refinishing has long been a sunk cost).

I just need a place to start and want to ask a reasonable and fair price. Unfortunately, seems like that will be a rather low number. :(

dude and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Terry

While auction prices are lower than you can get from a private party, you may want to look at the sold results for Ebert secretaries on Liveauctioneers. It's free to join. Just put in your search term and limit your search to sold prices. You can also do that on ebay.

This bookcase is far more elaborate than yours, so check the details carefully.

Kiko

dude likes this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Hi Terry, right now the vast majority of us in the auction world are having to tell our consignors 'no' to these types of pieces. They are considered a hard sell as many younger buyers are going to Ikea or purchasing the mid century modern style furniture. There is one a bit larger on ebay and they are asking $650 or best offer. Good luck!

KikoBlueEyes and dude like this.
  7. Terrence Evans

Laura and Kiko - thanks to each of you for your input!

Looks like this might be tough to sell :(

laura9797, KikoBlueEyes and dude like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Went to a St. Vincents thrift yesterday and they had a huge room devoted entirely to cabinets like this . As well as china cabinets. There must have been 50 in there,and they were all dirt cheap.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

It seems as if the door isn't wide enough for the buyers leaving the furniture market today. Everything I should have tried selling 20 years ago I'm surrounded by today.

10. KikoBlueEyes

My experience is that tastes come and go. I remember trying to find a wood bookcase and seeing even the most plain specimens going for outrageous prices; then a glut, and they are being left out on the sidewalk. The lack of buyers now allows me to get pieces not within my reach 20 years ago, so I am happy. Here Stickley goes for unbelievable prices, so I think it depends on what you have and where you are. My perspective is only as an occasional buyer and not a seller.

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's a nice drop front secretary with bookcase.
    Where you are and how you try to sel make a difference.
    Are you in a metropolitan area with an active Facebook Marketplace?
    You could try there with $150 or Best offer.
    As others have said it is a hard sell, but you just never know. I have always found people are out looking for furniture after the holidays.
    Now would be a good time to try.

12. Terrence Evans

Thanks to all for the advice.

I am in Atlanta, GA, so yes, a fairly big metro area.

I will try FB Marketplace as well as our NextDoor.com neighborhood site.

Draft saved Draft deleted