Vintage beaded flapper(?) purse

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by hszraven, Apr 28, 2020.

1. hszraven

hszraven New Member

I know nothing about vintage purses and I came across one that I could use some help finding the right place to research it.

It's quite heavy at the top so I assume that it's metal, but I have no idea what kind. The kisslock closure works perfectly. I don't see any missing beads, however there appears to be a brown stain(?) on it.

It's about 4" wide and maybe 6" tall excluding the chain handle. It's almost 12" tall from the top of the chain handle to the end of the hanging beads. There are no markings or imprints other than the decorative metal portion.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Attached Files:

KSW likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To make it easy for others to see I've reposted your photograph as a Full Image. Yours would be described as a 1920s Art Deco Flapper purse. You can find other examples on the internet by doing a Google Images search with the words "enamel mesh" and "geometric."

Debora

55857E52-FF71-482A-A1A2-2A91F4D0DB2B.jpg

Figtree3, patd8643, Sandra and 7 others like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Here are some sites with general information about that type of purse. Some of them include links to old catalogs also.

The "dangles" hanging from the bottom of yours seem a little out of the ordinary. Not sure whether you'll be able to clean the stain or not. (I know, you didn't ask that question...) If you are absolutely positive there are no markings at all (they may be very small and half hidden), then you may have a fun time looking at many images!

http://www.antiqueconnectionmall.com/Purses.htm

https://www.morninggloryjewelry.com/articles/vintage-catalogues/denver-jewelers-buying-guide-1932/

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/bags/mesh-bags-and-purses

https://www.rubylane.com/blog/categories/vintage-collectibles/history-of-mesh-purses/

Oh, and welcome to Antiquers, @hszraven !

Lucille.b, i need help and Debora like this.
  4. hszraven

hszraven New Member

Sure enough, on the inside in teeny tiny print it says
    Sure enough, on the inside in teeny tiny print it says MandalianMfgCo.

The beads at the bottom look like they were painted or colored red-brown and that coating has worn off, so that's not fixable. But the brown stain on the actual bag really does look like a stain and not the loss of color. Is that something that I can clean without destroying the color underneath?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Lucille.b and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well done! Here's some information off the internet about the manufacturer:

"Mandalian Manufacturing Co. was founded by Sahatiel Gabrabed Mandalian in North Attleboro, Mass. Sahatiel emigrated from Turkey in 1889 and began making jewelry and novelties in the United States. In 1906 he formed a partnership with Eugene A. Hawkins and started producing mesh bags under the name Mandalian & Hawkins. In 1915 the company name was changed to Mandalian Manufacturing Co. Many of the designs used on the bags look like Turkish carpets. The company was sold to Whiting & Davis in 1944. Early mesh bags were expensive because the mesh was made by hand. After an automatic mesh-making machine was invented in 1912, bags became more affordable."

Debora

Lucille.b and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

At least one of the sites I linked mentioned that Mandalian and Whiting & Davis were two of the prominent companies making this type of purse.

Based on the information that Debora posted, that mark on the bag would date from 1915-1944. It may be possible to narrow that date range by doing further research on the company.

I don't know how to clean that stain. If it were me, I might lightly dab it (no rubbing) with a lightly moistened cloth to see whether it would easily come off or not. Other than that, I'm not sure.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is it a stain or damage to the enamel under the stenciled design?

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted