Vintage Bible Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge 1810/1820

Discussion in 'Books' started by rink, May 27, 2019.

1. rink

rink Member

Can anyone let me know who could appraise this book? If Ebay is any indication of value (insert sarcasm here) this could be worth a good bit.

It is not on Abebooks.

There is no water damage at all, and other than the covers not being attached anymore the book is complete and in surprisingly great shape. No ripped pages or rounded corners. The covers are in excellent shape (other than not being attached)
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, McAdder and Jaena like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And then try Biblio.com. They have some copies listed for sale.

Debora

Figtree3, McAdder and Jaena like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, and by way, your volume dates to 1840.

Debora

5. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

Those bibles were printed in very high numbers and (almost) every year without significant changes. They are too young for most collectors, there are no illustrations.
    You can find them from professional sellers from 20 USD, (https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...tby=2&tn=holy bible tongues&yrh=1850&yrl=1800) as a private seller you will most likely get less. Its something you would buy at a flea market, if you want an old book.

What could make such a bible desirable, would be a beautiful binding, but yours is rather plain and also damaged. As a collector I cant see "excellent shape". The leather is chipping, what could be red rot ( https://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Red_rot), I see rubbing and staining and a discoloration where most likely an adhesive label used to be, the back is broken. That the interior is in better shape is quite common, because when the book was printed, the bible was no longer read as much as in the centuries before. But I see stock stains on the title page, which is a form of mold, meaning that the interior isn't in excellent shape ether.
    Don´t get me wrong, the bible is a typical example for its time and the state is also quite average, the binding is definitely in poor state, because fixing that costs more than the book is worth, that is also common.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I believe the cover and the book don't belong together.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If only you had a first edition... Then we'd be talking about some real money!

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted